Did I ruin my Archim board?

Posted on FB but hoping to get more input here. I have an Archim 1.0a board purchased from V1 that may or may not be fried. I was about 2/3 through a simple job and the machine stopped. Nothing was unplugged, no breakers tripped, nothing obvious. I was running Repetier Host via USB. There is 12v at the board so it’s not the power supply. Fuses are intact but no green LED.
It’s not related to the USB or laptop because it won’t power up on its own, without anything attached.
Are there any steps I can take to troubleshoot or is it DOA?

@vicious1, do you have any ideas?

I would try testing the fuses again. Did you take them out and test them with a multimeter?

Is the 12V going the right way?

Can you share a photo of the board? Maybe we can see something wrong.

Make sure to pull the tiny fuses and check them. A lot of people get that part wrong. The boards are really protected well so crossing my fingers that is the issue.

The only time something like this happened the board power supply and laptop were on two separate circuits and the differential got it. Static from your vacuum hose is another common one.

1 Like

Not sure if it applies to your issue. But I had to replace a 12v to 5v regulator on a mega board. @$3 for 5 regulators and a tiny soldering iron.

The fuses tested fine with a multimeter. Here’s a pic but unfortunately, I think Ryan nailed it. Board power and laptop WERE on two separate extension cords from two different outlets, and I was vacuuming near the board when it stopped. Am I SOL?
If it’s DOA, what is a good replacement since the Archim is out of stock? I don’t do well with firmware stuff (and wiring, apparently) so it needs to be PnP.

1 Like

Just to be sure take that green adapter off and cut the power supply cord at the barrel jack. That adapter is usually an issue.

I am a little surprised it is not working.

No lights at all? Do you have an LCD to test with in case it is just a popped USB port? How long have you had it (order number?)?

1 Like

There is 12v at the board end of the red and black wires so I don’t think the adapter is the problem (if I’m understanding you correctly). Still no lights on the board.
I don’t have an LCD, I’ve just been running off my laptop.
I’ve had the board for about a year (order #10508) but this is only the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve used it because my MPCNC has been in storage while I complete some other projects.

I think it is a little more complicated than that. Best to try without it, they have been a pain in the butt for a while now with all sorts of random issues caused by them. I don;t think it will fix this but it is my best guess at this point.

If you get no lights at all ever this would not solve it either.

Dang that is past the coverage by far. I don’t think I can cover that.

No dice. 12v at the terminal but still no LED.

Absolutely not asking for coverage since this appears to be self-induced. However, I need a replacement. Is the Mini-Rambo 1.3 my best bet to drop in place and get back to work with minimal fuss? If I buy something like an SKR 1.3 is there a lot of set up required (most of which is beyond me)?

The skr pro has tested firmware and it is easy to flash without compiling. The skr 1.3 has a config, but it isn’t tested by Ryan. But there are some users using it.

The mini rambo is a great board. It can’t do dual endstops. Watch out for the clones. They used to have the motor connectors wired wrong.

I assume it’s something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/BIGTREETECH-high-Frequency-Printer-Control-12864lcd/dp/B07T2RLG2C?ref_=ast_sto_dp

While I like the SKR price, I love the service and support from Ryan so I will likely go with the Mini rambo to get back up and running.

1 Like

To keep this from happening again I highly recommend an LCD.

Mini-https://shop.v1engineering.com/collections/parts/products/mini-rambo-1-3
LCD for it-https://shop.v1engineering.com/collections/parts/products/full-graphic-smart-controller-big

Or the SKR bundle that includes the LCD - https://shop.v1engineering.com/collections/parts/products/full-graphic-smart-controller-big

1 Like

Order has been placed. Thanks for all the help.
I really prefer having my laptop for both the control and visual confirmation of code but I guess I’ll have to get used to the LCD. And clean up my wiring…

1 Like

I don’t want to hijack the thread but is there somewhere I can look to learn things like the difference between flashing with/without compiling?

I enjoy reading some of the threads here about things like ZenXY and robots even thought I often feel I’m only ‘getting’ about 20% of what’s going on, I’d like to learn more. And I’d like to get up to speed about installing/using a laser.

If you do not need to make any changes to the firmware, no need to compile. For things like lasers, for some boards we even have those baked in now, but previously you needed to change a few numbers if you wanted to use a laser and then compile and flash. Now it is just one step easier, and around here the biggest hurdle/fear for most is “programming”. We are all pretty comfortable making things but a lot of us are new to the software/firmware thing so in making precompiled firmware we take away that hurdle.

I’d just like to learn a little more about the electronic end of things and think there’s two main things I need to overcome:

1. I tend towards the visual, when I was a kid I had a ‘Visible V-8’ model and it just makes it so simple to understand an engine’s workings when you can see it in action, it’s just hard to visualize all those electrons running around through, resistors, capacitors, et al and doing their thing.

2. I think I tend to intimidate myself, I read about some chip having a bazillion transistors on it and I start thinking I need to know what they’re doing when I guess the reality is I ‘only’ need to learn what the chip itself will do for me.

So I’m still searching for that ‘AHA!’ moment. :crazy_face:

I do not understand the components really well but I have a broad overview. My aha moment (after my first arduino nano) was actually designing a PCB for a already complete circuit and realizing the Chips are just regular components inside (just super tiny). So once you have the basics digging deeper is much easier. For the most part you do not really need to know much more than resistor and capacitor. I had a professor break it down in terms of plumbing and I think it is exactly perfect. I wish I could find more tutorials like that. Capacitor is like a toilet tank, wires are like pipes, kinking a hose is like a resistor, ect. The math usually even stays really easy.
I think if you find a project you can teach yourself a lot of it really quickly, hands on and visually. I messed around a lot with my nano, and that is still how I try to break things down in my head.
And a Chip specification paper will show you that you don’t actually have to understand too much as they break down exactly how to use their product and have example circuits right there.

You don’t ever really directly interact with the “thousands” (or higher orders of magnitude) components in an integrated circuit, your interface is limited to the pins on the chip. The data sheet explains each pin, so that’s what you need to understand to put it in place.

Think of it like an engine. There’s a whole lot of complex mechanical stuff going on inside, but (as long as it’s working as expected) you can treat the whole thing as one black box with limited interfaces - fuel, air, battery as inputs; ignition key and throttles as control signals (another class of input); waste heat (transferred to the coolant), exhaust, and power to the transmission as outputs.

1 Like

I need to do some digging, I’m kinda fond of the things folks are doing with LED lighting so maybe I can find a reasonable project for a noob.

1 Like

Yes, that is a good one!