Differences between Primo and old version

Hi,

I’m interested in building my own MPCNC and saw that a new version (primo) was released. Since there are a lot of designs regarding the old version I would like to know more about what changed. The post I read only said every part was remade. And since I have no experience myself I wanted to ask here.

I would like to know more details about this, specifically

• There are a lot of custom designs for improvements on the old one. What improvements were made on the primo, making these custom parts redundant ? (e.g. I have seen improved belt tensioners for the older model, so maybe something like this was already added to the new one)
  • With all the changes, which (kind of) custom parts for the old model might/should also be usable with the primo. (e.g. the x/y steppers have visibly new positions, but what about something like tool mounts)

Regards

Thorsten

1 Like

I view the Primo as an evolution not a revolution with many smaller changes. The cost difference between building the older Burly vs. the Primo is minimal. As for things addressed, the Primo does have an adjustable belt tightening system and mounting holes for end stops are included. The primo is generally stiffer, there is more ability to make adjustments during the build process, and it uses wider belts.

Generally parts from the Burly and Primo don’t mix. And even when they can mix, you lose some of the benefits. Mounts are a semi-exception. Ryan kept the mounting holes on the tubing the same, so it is possible to use the Burly mounting plate and use any Burly mount. Note that Ryan changed from using a Burly-style mounting plate to reduce the distance between the mount and the core. This means that the router is less cantilevered, so it is better to use a Primo-style mount if you can.

If you are starting from scratch, I’d build the Primo. There is going to be more support on this forum for the Primo going forward, and I cannot find a compelling argument for building the Burly instead.

1 Like

It’s likely the longest thread here (I probably spent a week reading it, catching up on old posts when I came across it this summer, and then it doubled in size), but despite a fair bit of extraneous fluff, there’s a lot of details and comparison info in it.
https://forum.v1e.com/t/new-mpcnc-for-2020-primo/16891

1 Like

There are a lot of different parts, how many of those are improvements are highly debatable.

Use the Primo version of the tool mount if you can but if one is not available the Burly tool mounts also work.

Robert nailed the answer. At this point improving anything was extremely difficult. There is no way to answer such a broad question that you posed easily. Like Mike said I went into extreme detail in that thread when anyone asked. The gist is every part is better than the previous version, some by very little some by 20%+. What cost was all this…Print time went up and the kit cost went up ~$5. In the end the same build size should easily be noticeably faster than the Burly equivalent, while also being easier to build and easier to build more square.

3 Likes