Digital Machinist / MachineKit

It could easily be the demographic reached by the magazine is weighted heavily toward the commercial operator, and they are working with the big machines. Your demographic is more the hobbyist and really small scale commercial. It’d be much better to get into a magazine like Popular Mechanics or some such. Now if a couple of users here have relationships with writers or editors there…

PM would be crazy!

The ads in Digital Machinist are some hefty machines with price tags to match. One of the first things I looked at. Bummer, still proud to be a part of it none the less, and the machine kit stuff looks promising for individual stepper manipulation, squaring, homing.

I’m not sure these conclusions are well founded. For one thing, have the subscribers all gotten their copies? How many subs do they have? The machine kit project isn’t finished, maybe they are waiting for the conclusion.

I would guess that folks that use $100k machines at work would love to have something they can play with for $400. I work on $100k robots at work and I have a few cheap hobby platforms at home. There are a few machinists that have showed up on the forums.

Fingers crossed. I guess I was just expecting to see something dramatic. Most online articles show up as a extreme spike in traffic (Then I have to find where it is coming from) and then quickly settling back down to normal levels a little higher than before the article.

Hey Ryan,
Speaking only for myself, it usually takes me a while before I get a chance to read my magazine. Hopefully you get a bit of a spike.

I think there has been a slow shift in the Village Press (VP) magazines include 3d printing. MPCNC is a really nice project which combines the two. Interest in 3d printing is huge where subtractive machining is more of a niche that VP caters to. What’s cool about your project, is that it combines the two.

I recently displayed my MPCNC at the Workshop88 both at Southland, Mini-makerfaire in Mokena Il. I was absolute thrilled how well it performed with the T8 leadscrew. It was a nice shake down event… I had it running for 8 hours straight and the only issues where operator related.:wink: I was running it as a Pen Plotter and printing out some images to give away.

The MPCNC showed well and many people seemed interested in it as well as Machinekit. I ran into a guy(who’s name escapes me) and his wife, who was building a MPCNC. He was having some lead screw issues. Hopefully he post here and says hi.

The people in the booth next to me, had a hands on project where kids put together a wooden tool box. If I go next, year it could be fun to get some collaboration where we engrave their name on the side of tool box.(I’ll probably need dust collection or do it outside)

I’m going to be bringing my MPCNC to the Milwaukee Makerfaire towards the end of September MPCNC and Machinekit. A open source 3d printed milling machine There are going to be 50k people attending there… Yikes.

Hopefully, I can get my auto-homing/deracking using Machinekit worked out by then and get content for my next article for the winter edition of Digital Machinist.

Tom

Hmm that is the same weekend as the NY maker faire…wonder if I can hit two in two days …google flights…

This email was buried in my inbox. Instead of engraving it maybe a paint pen for the toolboxes? I still have not tried machinekit, Heffe has me wanting to learn to use Git and maybe even some python, that might force me back into some linux. Then I could have a look at it.

https://makerfaire.com/new-york/

https://milwaukee.makerfaire.com/

Yep… same weekend sept 23-24

Here is where I’ll be.
https://milwaukee.makerfaire.com/maker/entry/275/

Okay it’s happening again, New issue, new article!!!

If I have my information correct this edition and the next will both have MPCNC related articles! Dam it is a good day. If you haven’t subscribed now is the time.

Ed Nisely has the upcoming article he is in the previous mpcnc issue and that article is titled, Along The G-Code Way.

Super cool, I need 3 magazine frames now.

Very cool, the exposure is well deserved!

Super excited but I can’t find magazine frames…The last one I bought doesn’t work. I might just have to make my own.

If only someone made a machine that could cut wood to make a frame…

If only there were a machine to make it easier for you to make your magazine frame :slight_smile:

So let me get this straight, I should make some sort of digitally controlled router capable of precision woodworking? I have a 3D printer I bet I could print most of the parts, I need to run to home depot to see if they have any suitable rail material, maybe I’ll take my skateboard over there (maybe I can use the wheels, or better yet the bearings).

Wait a minute…I see what you guys did there.

The Mostly Printed Frame Making Machine ™!

It would be a good chance to use some of those fancy digital joints I pointed to 10 years ago. It would also be very impressive if you could just make a perfect f-ing miter. You’ve got 4 corners, 4 chances to impress.

I tried to subscribe to the magazine when it came out. They were going to send me a free issue, but it never showed up. I ended up finding it at B&N, but I haven’t seen the issues in between.

I have a phone number for the subscription department. I talked with a person this morning. Want the number?

Like to talk to a person? Like on the phone?..

I will just try to subscribe through the website again.

Just tried the subscription process and it went smoothly. The proof will be in the mail someday. :slight_smile:

The winter 2017 issue is at Barnes and Noble now.

YESYESYESYES I just got it, I have it, I need to put a blurb on the front page.

What did you think?

I love the way Ed wrote that piece, super stoked.

There are two more articles on the way I am not actually sure if I am supposed to say which mags. This has been a fantastic month, and I am using this positive energy to get som things done. New Mini-rambo box is on the printer for final inspection. I should be able to make it into a Rambo and Archim box as well, shoot maybe even a few others. A few new items for the shop on ready to get listed, and more.

I didn’t realize Oprah magazine was that secretive. :slight_smile:

I always like reading build posts. Things people did differently, what their impressions were. This is better written and more detailed than the posts here, so I really enjoyed it.

I thought they gave a good balance of “builds as well as advertised” vs. “don’t expect any miracles”.

Are you still printing the parts on the 4 headed MPCNC?