Dimensions in Inkscape

Still trying to figure out how to make to specific dimensions.

Sizing in Inkscape, then bringing into Estlcam (checking final product in Camotics). I have tried creating 4x4 inch project sized in Inkscape (have tried inches, mm, and pixels), saved as .svg (both Inkscape svg and plain). Get no real dimensioning in Estlcam, though I have select Inches and mm (as appropriate) on Estlcam import. Final product in Camotics always reads a little over 16x16 inches?

Unless I save as .dxf instead, in which case it’s .25x.25 inches. Neither one of these really works for me.

I know that if try to resize in Estlcam, it’s not really scalable, and the image gets weird.

Any guidance provided would be much appreciated!

I am no expert, I have only been doing this stuff since October. However, I don’t suffer the same problem as you describe. So let me go through what I do. I get in these habits so that thing work consistently from Inkscape to Estlcam.

Inskcape
#1 - Sometimes I work in inches, but mostly mm. I set all my units and the SIZE of my document to the size of my work piece. SHIFT-CTRL-D

#2 - I always draw a box around the entire page. The reason for this is so that when I align/center something on the page in Inkscape, it will also be centered in Estlcam.

#3 - In general, SVG format should work. However, if you have multiple layers in Inkscape (I do occasionally) I don’t think Estlcam likes that. In those cases I export a DXF.

Estlcam

#1 - I set my work area to the SAME dimensions as my Inkscape document. VIEW -> WORK AREA

#2 - I then import/open my SVG/DXF and it work fine.

#3 - You can PRESS the mouse wheel in Estlcam to get a ruler. Its crapy but sometimes it helps.

Example

7 Likes

Very good and to the point exactly

Super helpful! Thank you for the help!