Discord?

isn’t there a D- one that is more like stack overflow?

Discourse! It’s actually what I used for my forum and is made by the Stack overflow guys. It automatically updates threads as you’re viewing them so you can have live discussions without refreshing. Imo it is the best forum software, and it’s free!

1 Like

Okay, That one keeps coming up. I originally poo poo’ed it because of price. Then I saw you can host it yourself, and couldn’t wrap my head around the install. That might be the way to go, I am sure I can figure it out. Live updating threads? Did it kill your server cpu/mem or anything?

It has a lot of really cool features.

2 Likes

Wordpress plugin seems to be mature now, Single login, github integrations, live post previews, translations, I think It might be time to update the server package and do this.

I am excited and terrified!

Never host a web facing server yourself. It becomes a full time job really damn fast.

No way, that seems like a crazy job. I would mess that up so fast.

Just wanted to say I didn’t forget about this lets not hold our breath on an upgrade to the server package and forums right now. Gotta see how this situation shakes out before I commit to 5x the cost monthly. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I would love for there to be a discord for random and non technical chat between the community. With rules like “All tech support questions are to be directed to the forum, or risk a kick/ban”. It would be great to be able to chat, realtime with others who share my specific brand of insanity…

This new system is almost chat, it shows when someone is typing, the only thing I think it does different is save the conversation. What part in particular are you wanting different?

Saying don’t troubleshoot there will never work. The contact form has two instructions and 99.99% of the time those are the exact things being ignored. I just believe people will think it is the faster way to get an answer. A lot of newcomers will post here, then the FB group, then Reddit. They then check their email and find they already got replies to all three. Wasting at least two other people’s time. Or then pitting solutions against each other. Me, I aim for efficiency. If I can see a question being asked a lot I try to add some instructions (laser, upcoming skr “flashing”).

Adding an “official” discord could work if enough of you can sway me.

1 Like

Bumping this because this.

What if a “new” name of ___ were created for a discord server intended as a video chat / routine “V1E creators conference” that had no allowance for “help my X is too tight” (in which either ignored or auto-referred back to forum), but allowed for creative discussion that could (ideally) be recorded and posted on YouTube as an archive in its own channel?

— I’m thinking video conference with some people audio only or just monitoring.

Did anyone ever make a discord Channel?

Yes. It is linked in the top right of the forums.

I don’t want to relink it, in case it changes at some point.

There isn’t a ton of traffic there though.

The link at the top is returning an invalid invite message. In a Discord server I run I was able to make an invite link that never expired. You might see if the one at the top has expired.

Mike

Awesome thanks for checking. The link has been fixed, to a non expiring one, glad they finally added that. Now how many more of those do I need to track down on all the random sites…

Still showing up invalid…

F5?

I tried in a fresh private window