Display fades on and off continuously

still keep on track:D

Thank you very much gentlemen. I am close on the voltage I think. One thing that I did notice though. My power supply box has a blue blinking light on it. I bought the one linked below. The voltage coming out of this thing is not steady, and moves all over the place, from 2-3volts up to 10-11 volts on my multimeter. Is there something wrong with it probably? or is this normal? i was able to get the 3 screws to around .7 volts each, but the x axis one, the first one, is jumping a bit more than the others, so it’s a rough guess around .7 volts. Is this also the reason that my screen is flashing if I don’t have usb plugged in also, because of a janky power supply possibly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-100V-240V-to-DC-12V-5A-Switching-Power-Supply-Adapter-Fr-LED-Strip-Light-USCC/252879946082?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That does sound like a faulty supply.

It say that its for 110 to 220 is there some switches? That you can set for your voltage country? You need to be very carful with step stick this pot on top it’s very hard to adjust stable hand and you will nail it.

This type of supply automatically senses the input voltage and chooses which circuits to go through to provide the 12V output. In your case the supply is obviously bad if it can’t maintain a steady 12V output. I purchased a couple of similar supplies in the last year or two and have had a couple that wouldn’t work right. One like yours where the output fluctuates and one where the output power just wasn’t there…

I’m going to throw a spanner in the works and confuse everyone here. When I started this thread and had this blinking display issue, I put it down to bad P/S, also as suggested by Ryan. So I tried a bench P/S that I hadn’t used to years just to test it and see if indeed it was the P/S that was the problem. This is when I very quickly noticed my bench P/S was faulty (not the last time I had used it though), so long story short, instead of putting out 12V as I set it, it put out something like 45V, so it fried all the electronics.

My point is, after replacing all the electronics, including the P/S, it all worked as expected. Here’s the twist… I then swapped the new P/S with the old one which I thought was the initial problem, and it all still worked like a charm. In fact, this is the P/S I still have connected right now. So I have no idea what the blinking issue was except that it wasn’t the P/S

So it all works now and something on either the mega or the ramps was causing it?

Yep, exactly, or the drivers. Although I have external drivers now, when this happened I still had the A4988 drivers.