Do I need to disable TFT if I'm not using it?

Running the skr 1.2 with TFT from the v1 shop. I’m running the latest dual endstops firmware for the lowrider.

I’m now controlling it exclusively with a remote connected computer.

My tool change has the M0 Comand and previously I had to click the button on the screen, then click play on CNC.js to proceed.

With the display removed in my latest build configuration. Do I need to disable it in the firmware so that the control does not wait for the display click to proceed?

I tried to search the firmware but must not be using the right search commands as I could not see anything obvious for disabling the tft.

Thoughts?

To disable the TFT, all you need to do is edit configuration.h to change

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

to

//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

The “//” comments out the line.

You may also want to comment out the #define SHOW_CUSTOM_BOOTSCREEN close to the start of the configuration.h file, which displays the V1 logo on the 12864 screen, but with the LCD disabled, it won’t matter.

Note that M0 commands (for tool changes and the like) won’t work like you think it will without the controller, because there’s no longer a button click to wait for.

Thanks Dan , won’t it still pause CNC.js and wait for me to hit play like it does currently?

1 Like

The way I understand it, and I have not tested this… Is:

Some programs, like RH, or octoprint will see an M0 in the gcode and pause, sending nothing to the controller.

Cncjs sees it, and pauses, as well as sends it to the controller. I am not sure the reason for this. But it makes a double pause, where the web pauses and so does the lcd. Removing the lcd will make only the cncjs pause. I don’t know what will happen in RH or octoprint, but I think they will still pause and just not send the M0 to marlin.

1 Like

Works like a charm! For anyone else that finds this, I did have to comment out “#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER” and “#define SHOW_CUSTOM_BOOTSCREEN” If I didn’t do both, the code would not compile without a large amount of errors. I ran a quick test set of Gcode (not actually cutting anything) and the M0 in the code paused cnc.js and waited until I hit play to continue.

1 Like

Ok this might not be related as I did not try this after I switched to dual end stops ( a few months ago but never ran a tool change) but if I try to run a G38.2 AFTER an M0 command it seems to completely ignore G38.2 and does not probe.

Could this be related at all to disabling the screen?

Basically I have a Probe button that I use during setup

G90
G01 X0 Y0 Z10 F2000 ; RAISE TOOL AND RETURN HOME
M0 () ;PAUSE
G90 ;CHANGE TO RELATIVE COORDINATES
G38.2 Z10 ;PROBE Z
G92 Z19.5 ;SET OFFSET
G91
G00 Z10 F480 ; RAISE 10MM ABOVE OFFSET
M0 ; PAUSE
G90 ; BACK TO ABSOLUTE COORDINATES

After an M0 Command cnc.js will pause and allow user manipulation. If I hit this same probe during the pause it will ignore G38.2 and just jump up to 29.5. If I send G38.2 through the command window it just sends back OK but does not do anything

Try sending G38.2 Z0 after a fresh start, without the M0.

If I start up the machine and just send G38.2 Z through the command window it probes like it should.

Whoa. That is really strange.

Yeah doesn’t make much sense to me. I might just revert back to the firmware without the lines commented out and then hook up the display just to eliminate that as being an issue. I had always run it with g28 prior to doing dual endstops but did not do a tool change since converting to dual endstops

Ok so not sure what was going on yesterday but today I dumped this into my G-code and the fun continues

M0
G38.2 Z10
M0

It pauses cnc.js, then when I hit resume it probes but probes up instead of down. If I change it to G38.2 Z-10 it probes down.

Here is the other fun part.

If I first hit my probe button in cnc.js after startup it works normally and everything is OK, it probes down to the target etc.

If I run the small section of G-code that includes
M0
G38.2 Z10
M0

That same button now causes it to probe up instead of down. Anyone have any idea what might cause the direction to change suddenly?

Maybe this needs to be a new thread?

• G38.2 probes towards a target and stops on contact, signaling an error if it reaches the target position without triggering the probe.

From the description on the Marlin page, I assume that you are specifying a direction when you issue the G38.2 command. From this I can extrapolate that you could use

G38.2 X10.000

and it would advance the tool in the X+ direction until it either travelled 10mm, or encountered the touch plate. It presumably issues an error if it does not touch.

From your description, I would further extrapolate that a G38.2 command with no direction specified would repeat the same direction and distance as a previous command. This seems consistent and expectable to me.

Right but not what is happening. My macro button probes down when I run it on machine startup. If I run it after an M0 command in the gcode it changes direction and probes up.

Maybe I do need to have it set with a negative distance such as G38.2 Z-10 and it’s just a fluke that my button was working properly with G38.2 Z10 previously.

Does G38.2 need to be preceded with a G91 so that the Z distance is incremental and not absolute or is it always assumed to be incremental when it’s in the G38.2 line?