Double Rider?

I zero’d each at their respective ends then spent an exorbitant amount of time finding the location where they meet exactly (location on x,y plane). Tuned, tinkered, etc. Then spent an additional exorbitant amount of time working out a functional model whereby I could home both and then reasonable expect both lowriders to mill the same part accurately.

Did it work, yes. Do I still use this setup, no. The number of projects that I have that are truly full-sheet just doesn’t merit the extra work I put into it. It was neat, fun, and frustrating all at the same time.

1 Like

I was thinking of doing this also. In my case, I was thinking of reversing the direction of the second machine (so the X & Y axes are in opposite directions). I rarely use the full 4’ x 8’ workspace and could use the additional machine at times to justify the use of floor space. I have 2 other machines that take up less space which I tend to use more often. I built the low rider to cut full sheets but find I rarely do that…

Any advice from those who’ve tried this or have thought about it?

The only thing I found essential for smooth operation of both lowriders at the same time was to fix the belt in the center. See the post above for the item I used to fix the belt. It doesn’t have to be fancy, the item in the center just needs to secure the belt so that one lowrider’s movement on the y-axis doesn’t affect the other.

1 Like

That makes sense. Thanks for the advice!

Do you have stl files for the center support that your willing to share?

Sorry, I don’t. It was deleted a short while after I concluded the experiment.

Thanks for sharing the concept.

Hi all
I have made an extra sledge with an identical router which I will connect to the driven sledge on the X axis, setting the time spend with the work inn half

An issue I encountered with my set up was effect the extra movement from the additional lowrider had on the y-axis belt. I was unable to get both lowriders to sync up until I implemented the belt fixing object in the middle of the y-axis belt.

The x-axis belt is much shorter than the y-axis belt, so let us know if it works out.