Dragon's Lair Arcade Game!

I like the reduced footprint of the wall-hung cabinets. I’d just want to be sure it was well secured.

2 Likes

I hang stuff like that with french cleats. There are even metal ones from HD that are pretty damn strong.

2 Likes

What I really want is a Defender console in my basement. I put a lot of quarters in those back in high school and college.

2 Likes

Having built a mame cabinet I’d seriously look at a wall hung one if I were doing it again. Way less space taken up … and weight, OMG full cabs are heavy. Like @jeffeb3 says, french cleats would be perfect for that.

There is something nice about having a coin mechanism and a place to stash an xbox though.

2 Likes

Oh believe me I’m not saying you’re doing it wrong, just saying tht arcade cabinets are simple enough to do with basic tools. If you have a CNC, then go for it, but if not, don’t let that be your block.

Make your dream a reality! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Update Time! Not a lot of photos sadly, the net sucks up here at my shop. But I got the other side cut, and a slew of other pieces. I love my LR2, I did a measurement in CAD, then measured that same piece that was cut… CAD said it was 4.5". LR2 said, it’s 4.5" haha Sadly I gotta take it apart and run it down to the carwash 'cause it’s nasty right now. She’s a dirty, dirty girl. I’ll upload more photos when I get home to my speedy net. For now, here’s a sneak peak!

These pieces are the monitor shroud, the front part of the monitor shroud, and the marquee light holder.

The scoreboard area, this is where the 7 segment LED scoreboard, and 2 8" speakers will go.

The other side. I love the way the pockets are always so clean in MDF.

Still on the machine, is the lower back piece, and the lower marquee panel.

I could actually start assembly on this cabinet tomorrow if the rain decides to hold off. The only pieces that are left, are the front coin door panel and the back door. LR2 really came through for me so far! Hella impressed. I guess some of the next few photos will be build photos.

5 Likes

Looks great ! So much easier than making router templates… although I guess if you were doing a hundred of em you could always make the templates with the low rider.

1 Like

The template approach is interesting. On the Morris chairs I just made, I considered using the parts from the first one as templates for the second. I decided that it would be more efficient use of my time to let the Lowrider cut the second, while I added round-overs, sanded, and assembled the first.

I did take some time to verify everything fit together as intended before cutting the second, but otherwise the robot and I worked as a 2 “man” team. 8^)

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t think it would make sense for one person. I’m the same way I clean my garage while the low rider is doing it’s thing… and I still never manage to get it all tidy.

1 Like

I actually tried that with the Maslow. I bought some 1/4" plywood from the big box store, and I cut out the profile of the cabinet, and where the pockets are on my current cuts, i cut them all the way through. The plan was, to cut out the profile of the 1/4" with a flush trim bit, then while it was still clamped down, use those cut outs to place my blocking. Wash, rinse, repeat. But the Maslow just wasn’t accurate enough.

And in all fairness, the LR2 is a tad slower, than the Maslow, but it’s accuracy is on point, and speed isn’t a big concern because accuracy is the critical part. And I’d rather have the accuracy at slower speeds than faster speeds and have a “WTF” moment. I still MAY make templates of my cabs, and get back to making them again. But right now I’m really just trying to get my personal cabinets replaced.

@tailslide My shop is a mess. I think my LR2 is purposely making it dirty. haha

The other nice thing about using a cnc for templates is that it is easier to make templates for an offset for the router. So if you want to make a pocket, you can use a short bit, and put an offset collar on your router and just offset the design to accommodate it.

I think the cnc mostly replaces a bandsaw in the woodshop. To some degree, it also replaced the big sanders, and sometimes a drill press. These tools are all what you would use to make templates, so they are definitely possible to make on the cnc.

If I was making several chairs or something. I like the idea of working at the same time as the machine. Sort of a man vs. machine contest. But in reality, I’d rather be working on CAD/CAM of the next part while babysitting it.

1 Like

Exactly what I was doing today. The machine was in the cnc room of my shop making chips while I started putting some of the blocking on one of the sides. THAT is a killer way to do things, and makes you feel like you were being efficient as possible! I hate walking off from my machine, but I can see it from the next area of my shop so I could keep an eye on it at all times.

Progess being made!

Not alot, but I gotta be honest, I’m beat. Been working on this pretty much directly after work since thursday, and all weekend… But the final pieces were cut out today, so this week after work, the fun begins.

5 Likes

This is amazing

1 Like

Thank you! I did make some more progress yesterday, but just now able to post some photos. I’m having alot of trouble with this MDF from Home Depot. Not even gonna lie. It was EXACTLY 3/4" thick when I bought it fresh 5 months ago. It’s not exactly 3/4" thick any more. it’s about 1/16" thicker now. I’m guessing I need to buy it, and use it immediately from now on. None of my tolerances are correct now that the MDF has ‘relaxed’ so to speak. Anyway, this is the prototype so. These kinds of things were expected. I’ve modified my design for future cuts. Enough of my rambling, check this out…

I was going to go today and finish it up, but time isn’t on my side. Got packages coming for my shop racks and shop lights, and guess what? I have to sign for them! YAY ME!

4 Likes

I’ve discovered mine is used mostly for things that need to be repeated a lot or really weirdly shaped items for the wife.

1 Like

I try to keep the wife away from thinking about what else it can do except cribbage boards.

1 Like

Yeah, I haven’t volunteered for many projects that repeat. But that is certainly a good use case. FWIW, I only have a very tiny desktop bandsaw, so I say to myself, “I can do this on the CNC” when I see a video of a neat project.

lol Since my wife has realized exactly what it is the machine does, she’s loaded my plate up with ideas… If I started working on her ideas right now, I might would be finished with them all by the year 3020. Guess I better get started.

I realize, I messed up when I made her that stool LOL

1 Like

I was recently doing some CNC on an aluminum bar and was forced to cut the end off with the lowrider… a bandsaw would have been wonderful. At least that’s my excuse for ordering one soon.