Dual End Stops, When Auto Home Z keeps going

Hi all. So I have my MPCNC all wired up and end stops in place. When I click on auto-home the x and y axis home but the z axis just keeps lifting until it basically comes off its guides! the Z axis doesn’t have an end stop so should it be homing?

What is the expected result when you click Auto Home on the LCD? Also I see that the menu item Prepare disappears from the menu once you click on Auto Home, is that by design?

Do not use auto home. Use home x and home y.

2 Likes

Yeah, the expected result for auto home is just what you saw. The Z keeps on going since it has no stop. Home each axis manually or set a macro that just does the two.

1 Like

By the way ensure that your z moves properly. Home z should move it down. Also check moving directions of z. If it wrong - turn 180 z stepper connector on the board

Thanks! Already done, I had realized that as well :wink:

I have the same situation! the Z doesn’t stop on Home Z, while Home X and Home Y do.
So when Z is moving to make Home… it should move upward or downward? My logic says it should be moving up which is the case now, and it doesn’t stop.

Does anyone have any feedback on this? Thanks

Is this a low rider or mpcnc? Does the Z move down when you send a negative jog command?

Low Rider 2. When negative jog it goes up.

Ok. You need to reverse both motor connectors then to get it to go negative down. Before you home Z, check the touch plate with M119.

Thank you Jeff for your help. I reversed the movement of the motors. I didn’t install yet a touch plate.
But I have 2 questions if you don’t mind:
1- when I home Y, only the Y0 works, the Y1 keeps moving even it touches the endstop. Shall I separate the 2 motors (right now they are connected with one single connection to the motherboard.
2- Why when I unplag the MPCNC the z0 drops?

thanks

Dual endstops require dual drivers and they need to be wired to their own drivers.

I have mini Rambo… it has an extra driver place, do you think it’s programmed for y2?

It isn’t, but you could configure it for that. You would need to set EXTRUDERS=0, and then set the dual Y in configuration_adv.h

So I have Low Rider 2. 1X motor. 2 Y motors and 2 Z motors. In total I should have 2 duals stops Y axis and Z axis. I see in Rambo (pic above ) 5 drivers… Can we configure them? Not only the EXTRUDERS=0
Is there a link where someone did this?

That picture is a mini rambo with 4 drivers, not a rambo with 5. The two Z plugs are just wired in parallel and the second Z port should never be used.

Thanks Jeff… yeah… Mini Rambo… ok! Understood. I guess I will try to have the Y with dual stops for now. But I guess at a later stage maybe I should upgrade the motherboard to 5 drivers.

For the record, you will not get more cutting performance with separate drivers. The motivation for dual drivers is dual endstops and auto squaring. I don’t have endstops on my machine. I just have hard stops to start the gantry and then the steppers move in lockstep. I wouldn’t bother upgrading unless you just want something new.