Dual Z axis on skr 1.3

Has anyone successfully got Dual Z axis to work on the skr 1.3 with marlin 2.0? I’m using VS code.

I have enabled dual Z axis in advanced configuration and tried enabling either Z2 axis and E1 in the configuration setting. Neither way worked. It compiles fine, the z2 motor just didn’t move. I have it on the E1 socket.

I have got dual X And Y axis to work, but no luck with Z.

Any ideas?

I have an older version of marlin on my low rider with dual Y and dual Z. It probably won’t help to just use it, but it might be useful to compare:

Thanks Jeff.

Not sure what the difference was, but yours works.

yup. works on mine…
you got extruders set to 0?

here are my settings. they have changed a bit since that i believe, not sure, but that at least works for me.
skr 1.3 with tmc2130 and sensorless homing etc

1 Like

OK…so it’s a bit late but I think your problem with Z2 not moving lies in the pins_BTT_SKR_V1.3.h file. You need to change the E2 pin #defines to Z2 –
/
// Steppers
//

#define X_STEP_PIN P2_02
#define X_DIR_PIN P2_06
#define X_ENABLE_PIN P2_01
#ifndef X_CS_PIN
#define X_CS_PIN P1_17
#endif

#define Y_STEP_PIN P0_19
#define Y_DIR_PIN P0_20
#define Y_ENABLE_PIN P2_08
#ifndef Y_CS_PIN
#define Y_CS_PIN P1_15
#endif

#define Z_STEP_PIN P0_22
#define Z_DIR_PIN P2_11
#define Z_ENABLE_PIN P0_21
#ifndef Z_CS_PIN
#define Z_CS_PIN P1_10
#endif

#define E0_STEP_PIN P2_13
#define E0_DIR_PIN P0_11
#define E0_ENABLE_PIN P2_12
#ifndef E0_CS_PIN
#define E0_CS_PIN P1_08
#endif

#define Z2_STEP_PIN P0_01
#define Z2_DIR_PIN P0_00
#define Z2_ENABLE_PIN P0_10
#ifndef Z2_CS_PIN
#define Z2_CS_PIN P1_01
#endif

what? no you don’t… i have dual Z and definitely didnt have to do that. Just make sure you set extruders to 0. The old firmware wouldnt let you, and you had to change the pinouts around for it to work, but that got fixed quite some time ago

1 Like

It only got fixed quite some time ago if you used the branch of the firmware that got fixed quite some time ago. Not everybody gets their firmware from the same source.

It didn’t work until just before 2.0.0. It broke again with some eeprom issues right after that. I added a test case in Marlin for an EXTRUDERS=0, and most of our CNC settings, and that keeps it at least compiling when new features roll in. Since then, it has been good, AFAIK.

Marlin has a lot of different configurations they support, and most versions of the software don’t get tested live on all the configurations for every version. So there are sometimes growing pains. Ryan does a good job of configuring the latest versions for the boards he has, and does some testing live before he releases, so I always suggest people should start from Ryan’s firmware if you are shooting for a V1 machine. But it is your machine, you can put what you want on it. That’s the great part about it.

Thanks for providing access to these files. This is the only version I can get to compile at this time.
Does this version support dual enstops? I would assume so as it’s for dual axis.
Greg
edit, this is meant for Jeff. New to the forum and I guess I didn’t get the reply right lol

I don’t have endstops on my machine, but I tried not to break that feature. So it should work. I am least confident that I got the inverting flags right.

1 Like

I have dual endstops working on mine, but I had to bend a pin on two of my tmc2209 drivers to make it work.