Dupont Wires in JST Shields

I bought the MPCNC Primo kit with the SKR Pro, and now I’m trying to wire up my steppers to the board. Of course connecting the Dupont connectors to the JST receptacles is terrible, so the documentation mentions the easiest solution is to wiggle the JST shields off the board with some needle nosed pliers. I’m a little wary to try this, anyone have any experience doing this?

An alternative might be JST pigtails, they will be retained better than a dupont connector. also the JST-XH connector has a pitch of 0.098" - not quite 0.1" which is the dupont pitch, although this makes little difference on a 4 wire connector!

These are the pigtails I used:

They fit in the SKR very tightly. You could cut one end off and solder to the stepper wires. I cut the off and soldered them to my bulkhead connectors inside my control box and ran the stepper wires to the outside of the connectors.

No experience doing this exactly, but if you try, just be somewhat gentle and don’t force anything. I opted to cut off the connectors and use some actual JST-XH on the wires so I never have to worry about it.

Thanks for everyone’s input, I think I will end up trying to crimp new connectors or, failing that, attaching pigtails.

I did buy a box of JST connectors, which I had intended to use with my MKS Gen L board, but then I replaced the board with a Duet Wifi instead. The MKS Gen L will probably get used for something else, which I’ll use the JST connectors for.