Dust boot bristles

Where does everyone get their bristles for dust boots? After cutting last night I had a dust cloud in my shop, even with a shop vac running. I’d like to enclose the area under the plate but can’t find a place that has the bristles that I can use in a decent manner.

-Ryan J.

I don’t have any personal experience, but I see people really liking craft foam sheets.

https://forum.v1e.com/search?q=craft%20foam

1 Like

I had been using a foam sheet but it was getting stuck on cuts. It wasn’t until I posted this that I thought about cutting the sheet into flaps/strips so it would move a little better. That’s my goal for this week along with an easier way to mount than push pins. I bought some button magnets so I’m going to try that.

I use a piece of leftover EPDM for my dustboot. Works well.

1 Like

I wanted to use craft foam. The pandemic has forced a creative resourcefulness since delivery has been thrust back to 90’s-like efficiency. Instead, I’m using leftover tool box liner. The foam is a bit thicker than I’d like but seems to work well enough without causing disruption to the tool path.

I’ve also seem people buy the harbor freight brushes for a few bucks. The real cost is the time wrangling thousands of bristles.

For the LowRider2, this works great!

4 Likes

I found some nice bristles in a super cheap door sweeper. One of them has a bristle insert, you can just pull it out and the metal that holds it together bends real nice. I have not used one yet but I have a piece on my toolbox so I remember to try it out.

1 Like

I had not thought of that. I’m going to Menards this weekend. I’ll have to look for one.

All menards carrys now is solid vinyl sweeps. At least the two near me do.

Picked up a bristle sweep last night. Mine only had one type. All the rest are solid vinyl.

You could also try using the insect guard often found attached vertically to the back section of fly screen sliding doors. (as per image attached)

1 Like

Yea, that’s a door sweep. The problem with those is bending them. The aluminum channel they’re made from doesn’t like to bend in the direction we want them to, so the bristles end up sticking out horizontally instead of vertically.

I’m working on Magnetic Boot.
I will use a door sealer + add a thin strip of steel to the aluminium door strip so it attracts to the magnets.

Q . The skirt will add additional clearance height from the router bit. does this mean the bit will need to be attached lower in the collet ? which then creates flexing in the bit’s shank.
Unless I’m missing something ??

Here’s some links to DustBoots

Naked…

NSFW! NSFW! NSFW! Ye gods and little fishes, man! Just lettin’ it all hang out there, huh?

1 Like

Rock out with your carbide out!

2 Likes

It’s bad when you get older, and the ED kicks in… Endmill Dysfunction…

2 Likes