dust collector port

I don’t remember who made my hardshells. The only markings left on them are my first initial-last4 of my social. I’ve had them for years and years. Literally been around the world.

Inspiration from the forum here led me to buy a set of bluetooth ear protection (3M Worktunes).

I have used it only this weekend so far, but they were pretty solid, good ear protection, not terrible sound quality that I could mostly hear over the saws and such. I even received a call, took it, and decided to go on a walk with the dog while talking and it was pretty pleasant for that. Probably won’t do that again as I don’t like having almost zero sounds from the world coming at me…

4 Likes

@vicious1, Do you have some hearing protection you like? Maybe it would be a win-win if you tried a few and recommended a set on your parts list.

2 Likes

How much do those disposable foam plugs cost? Or some similar, functional-yet-minimalist protection gear? Maybe offer them on the store, or as a toss-in for bundle purchases? That way, you can help teach true neophytes hearing safety from day one, and suggest (much) better alternatives to upgrade to when they’ve decided the plugs suck eggs…

Good Idea. I have a set I have no idea where or when I go them…but maybe I should check out some cheap plugs and a Bluetooth fancy set.

1 Like

Very quick Amazon search comes up with $0.20 per individual pack

https://www.amazon.com/Foam-Ear-Plugs-Noise-Reduction/dp/B07ZFTHS8N/ref=sr_1_15?crid=177UJKZIT4N6B&keywords=ear+plugs&qid=1581449668&sprefix=ear+plu%2Caps%2C316&sr=8-15

1 Like

That’s retail… What’s the cost of a palette of the little slimeless slugs? :wink:

You’re absolutely right, haha I went for a 20 second search answer.

Ryan is very welcome to see if getting a pallet makes business sense for him!

1 Like

I have a bag of those that I keep attached to the wall, so they are always there. They work fine, but if you’re sitting there watching your cnc for an hour, you might as well be listening to a podcast.

If you can get some red and black ones at a nearly free price, they will become a collector item in a few decades.

2 Likes

Paul really likes these.

I think they pay for a lot of reviews. I bought some (based on some yt review) and I was not impressed. They didn’t stay in (especially with sweat) and even when they were in they didn’t block the sound very well.

I’m not a fan of anything going in my ear. Always prefer over the ear headphones.

I don’t like it either, but I don’t like ear muffs and safety glasses.

Good to know! I used to have to use double hearing protection daily, so in the ear foamies don’t bother me.

Jeff you should look into these goggles from DeWalt, they work really well with over ear stuff

You look like a huge goober for sure, but that is me all the time anyway so never bothered me.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DPG82-11-DPG82-11CTR-Concealer-Anti-Fog/dp/B01A12J3GI/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3J0HUW1WV2ALN&keywords=dewalt+safety+goggles&qid=1581512909&sprefix=dewalt+safety+%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-4

2 Likes

I have a pair I got from amazon for 65 dollars that are fantastic with bluetooth if you want the model just ask but there a a lot out there now Walker’s razor quad electronic bluetooth muff-black I like that bluetooth and outside volume are separate

After working all weekend in the shop and turning the dust collector on/off every few minutes, I have decided I need to put more effort into this project.

I’ve removed the need to have the dust ports opened and closed as all of my ports are right next to the machine they’re running on. So now I’m focused on just getting the ESP32 to monitor the current and to turn the dust collector on/off as a machine is turned on/off.

I’m in the process of adding a 1 minute delay to the python code on the pi so that if I turn a machine off and then another machine on within a minute, it doesn’t cycle the motor on the DC. I may end up changing this to 3 minutes or so, but we’ll see.

1 Like

Made a lot of code progress last night. The code is working well and seems pretty robust to failures. Now I need to design a case for the Esp32 and hook up an AC cable to the SSR on the controller.

I just use a power strip and it controls the power to the dewalt and my dust collector on swich and done I only have 1 machine though so it works for me but soon I’ll outgrow this method I wish I could control autopilot but with my budget it’s not in the near future I love the implementation though

yeah. I do that to for the MPCNC.

This is for controlling the dust collector that’s hard plumbed to 4 machines right now with 4 more machines to be added in the near future. I also want to add a down-draft table somewhere in the shop.

The dust collector is setup in the corner of the shop. Reaching over and turning it on when using the table saw isn’t too bad. It’s only 3 steps away. But some of the machines are half-way across the room.

1 Like