East Temple Peak, Wyoming Topographic Map

5mm birch plywood. 200mm x 200mm x ~60mm

A friend asked if I could help out with a gift. Initially he wanted to hand cut out vinyl using a printed topo map of the area. I asked if I could do it in wood and use a machine. He said yes.

Initially I tried using a geographic data to STL tool (http://jthatch.com/Terrain2STL/) with Fusion 360 Slicer. This would have been ok, but at the scale / resolution I was going for it just looked like blobs with little definition.

After a couple hours looking for high-resolution data sets, I caved and manually mapped a jpg map to vector in Illustrator. It took a little bit, but gave me the resolution I was looking for.

Some of the smaller bits for the top layer turned out to be too small. I am still trying to get my head around a ‘minimum’ shape for this machine.

9 Likes

Please come back with pics of the finished project. Neat stuff!

That’s really neat. I like the registration pegs.

1 Like

I guess this would rely much on the size of mills you use? I recently ordered a few 1 and 0.8mm mills. I’m very curious to see how they perform, I honestly expect them to break just when installing them…

2 Likes

Set the feed very VERY low! Way lower than you think to start.

In fact, you might want to actually do some calculations. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use 1mm mills at 500 to 600 mm/min with no problems at 1.5 to 2 mm doc . I cut mostly cherry I’m sure they will work well for you

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the compliments and the suggestions!

I am also thinking not cutting all the way through on the smaller parts, just scoring the top surface, then cutting them out by hand / cleaning up after. I was using tabs, but they were not much help at that small scale.

1 Like