Editing marlin menu

How easy is it, or is it possible to edit my marlin firmware to reduce the menu options I see? My LCD controller knob isn’t quite a click per move item and I have found myself on numerous occasions auto homing my LR2 when I was trying to manually move it. The darn options are right next to each other! aaargh! Until I see a jogging joystick controller for real dummies thread I’m stuck using the knob.

So is this possible? easy? can I do it? eeek?

Hey Brent, the short answer is yes. I few years ago I saw a video where a dial potentiomoter was used to move the machine around the surface. In the interfaces I have seen macros that one can set up for movement. You would edit out the button that you do not want to see. I will look it up and link you a site in the next few hours. I will see if i can find it. As far as a hand held dial to move your machine head around that is also possible. You could actually make one for I estimate 10 dollars or so. Let me check and I will get back to you tonight. I just need to make sure I can find this thread again. lol.

Ok this site shows you how to add to a menu or to make a custom menu item. You will notice that some of the items are commented out. Those are items that can be added through the file that will be shown in the thread. So take a look at this https://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/questions/7676/how-to-add-menu-options-to-the-marlin-firmware-lcd-menu
If you have any programming experience this will be all you need. If you dont what your looking for is to comment out by adding two // infront of the button you dont want to see. I would be interested to know if this helped you. Take it easy.

tablet to control your machine. Best way imo to do this.

Ok I just added the octoprint app to my tablet and I have full control of my 3d printer if i want it. I can also view the camera of my 3d printer with the app. I would definately look at adding an Octopi to your build. It allwos one to do the heavy work converting ones cad drawings to gcode on ones main computer in the comfort of ones home. :smiley: i live in vegas so that is a bonus for me. Then i send the gcode to the octopi over my home network. I can pick up in the garage and use the tablet to view the file sent and set up the machine with the tablet and get the project going. You can send me an email at miket402@yahoo.com and I will reply or just answer here in the forums if your interested in what I did. I own 3 fdm 3d printers a Resin 3d priner and other neat gadgets that I dont mind helping with if you would like. Additionally if one needed more power than a tablet one could use a laptop. I have that option. But I like the idea of not having a big computer gathering dust. The octopi is simply a web interface and you can link to it through your home network. So any device that can display the web interface can be used to control your machine if you enable it with the encrypted API.

It’s not trivial to remove the standard options in the lcd. You’ll be heavily hacking the code.

Jamie has the most elegant (IMO) joystick control, which has been merged into Marlin. It uses three potentiometers and one switch to drive xyz.

I also (lazily) maintain a pi image, based on octopi called v1pi, which has octoprint and cnc.js. I also use the web interface for my LR. It is much easier than chasing the machine around.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the inputs here, I have read the v1pi info with hesitation as I read into it but I’m intrigued and it does seem fairly straightforward. My worry is that I’m not a software guy, not a coding person so I don’t want to complicate my working lr2 any more than needed. The menu item removal is a nice to have to avoid these mini catastrophe auto homes which have happened a few more times than I like to admit…

thanks

You can change the sensitivity of your encoder (knob)

located under:
Encoder Resolution