Electric Guitar Body - Wood Species

I am working on a project to learn to cut guitar bodies. I am using pine for the test cuts.

However, I want to use a different wood for the final body but I am not sure what wood would be ideal.

I have a local who sells slabs and these are the wood types he has - “ash Linden blackwalnut cherry cedar maple and oak”

Anyone who knows guitars what wood type/species would you suggest for a first time guitar build?

Also, does anyone who does guitars have a good source for 2d/3d files for guitar bodies?

If you’re making solid body electrics the wood species won’t have much affect on functionality. Of the species you mention I’d think Linden would be one of the easiest to cut and the Walnut and Cherry would be very good looking with a natural finish with Maple being a good choice for necks. Not a guitar maker but played them in my misspent youth.

Yeah. If you’re going to paint it or stain it, then choose the cheapest. If you are going with a poly finish, choose the one you like the best. Walnut is going to be much more expensive than cherry, or oak.

Clear pine also would work fine, but may bruise easier than slower growing wood, like oak.

Ash is pretty common, maple is used too. Maple is often used for the cap on Les Paul style guitars. I’ve heard that people shy away from oak because it’s so hard and tough on tools. I’m half done an oak ukulele so it’s not impossible. Soft woods like pine can be good too but not for the neck. People like soft woods because they can be quite resonant. Give poplar a try if you can find it in your area.
This is all just my YouTube researched opinion and I don’t have any experience building my own guitar.

I forgot to mention if you want a beautiful wood for a clear finish see if you can find some Butternut.

Let me know if you find a cutting file thing for a TELE body :smiley: I want to make one soooo bad!

I don’t know all of the body styles - I did find this with some simple google searches.

https://sites.google.com/site/guitarplanscollection/dwg-files/fender---ish

53BODYMASTERNSNOFLAT1.zip (9.4 KB)

1 Like

TDRPI is an amazing resource. Nice find!