Electric Motor Maintenance

a.k.a. how deep do you go to not give up on a tool?

So I have a bench router, a Porter Cable 891: 2.25 hp variable speed router. Last night it just stopped giving me all it’s got. I was routing dovetail slots in my spoil board for hold downs (microjig) and it stopped giving me power.
I’ve got the thing torn apart now and I found my brushes both have a little chip off the front edge. Like it took a hit. I’m wondering if I could grind them down? Is it important to be curved? Or will they get there on their own? I’m not opposed to ordering two new brush bits.
Might be the speed control board just lost the nerve to work? How do I go about measuring that?

How many think it’s the brushes?
How many think it’s the speed control?
How many would chuck it and go pick up a new one?

I usually reject that as the first choice on the theory that if it’s already screwed up, I’m probably not gonna make it any worse. I’d probably see if I could bypass the speed control and see how it runs then.

1 Like

Good idea. I never slow that thing down any way. And if I ever have a need, I suppose I could plug in an external one. Thanks for the support!
I watched a YouTube video about brushes and cleaning the contact area and I’ll clean that and see if I can find down these a little first, try to restart then and bypass the speed control.

1 Like

The little chips shouldn’t make a difference.

Those chips shouldn’t make a difference… But they also shouldn’t happen. It could be as simple as getting debris into the motor.

1 Like

I found this schematic to bypass the speed control. If I read this right I’ll only attach two wires of the three together to bypass the control.
My question is to those who understand current better then I do, does this look right?
I’ve completed the bypass and I have turned it on and I’m back to full speed. But I haven’t put it through any material yet, just in case I become a new grounding path for this wiring set up.