Electrical Noise Question

Hi all,

I’m a bit ignorant when it comes to electrical noise, I know its a problem in CNC’s etc and I think I understand the basics of it, but had an idea that made me wish I knew more.

I wondered if the ramps and psu could be mounted in the same case as my pc (ramps board in the the HD slots and psu in a cd drive slot), I have no reason for wanting to do this other than keeping everything packed away neatly in one case.

I have shielded cable to be earthed to the CNC psu, the psu has its own mains power supply power supply and the stepper and end stop wiring will run in different cable bundles

Would grounding everything to the case make any difference, or is this all just a stupid idea full stop.

I do not see why it would not work. Having a computer that close to this dirt factory means you are going to need some serious full case filtration, as in, I would put the whole thing in a pillowcase or something.

1 Like

It should work just fine. Remember when you ground a shield you only ground one end…

1 Like

Thanks Gents,

I appreciate the advice.

Yeah, I plan to enclose the tool to (hopefully) cover the dust factor.

[quote quote=98911]It should work just fine. Remember when you ground a shield you only ground one end…

Yes, I plan to terminate them all to the psu’s ground connection, though I wonder if the chassis would be adequate,It would certainly be easier from a wiring point of view.

If you can look past the temporarily untidy wiring, it will look something like this.

[attachment file=98961]

If that power supply is directly mounted to the case I’d use a case ground instead of the power ground.