Endstop Wiring.

So while I attempted to put attach endstops to my machine it seems I have fried something. As soon as I made a connection to the board with my endstops, while everything was on, things went bad. My computer shut off, black screen as if I pulled out the battery. A sizzly sound came from the board as well as a smell. I assume I must have done something wrong while wiring everything.

Everything ran smoothly until I tried to add endstops. Now nothing is working even after disconnecting the endstops, when I try to connect the power to the board and plug in the usb, my computer repeats its power off with a noise. Now I don’t want to fry my computer as well so I just ordered a new board kit from here.

Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong. I am almost certain that I connected the NC->S and C->GRD accordingly. Is there anything else I could have done wrong.

Just having the usb connected without the dc power to the ramps does not work for me. I get no response from the machine.

Don’t plug or unplug anything into the RAMPS board with power connected. This most likely fried it

So, when adding or removing any connections to the ramps board I should always power down first? Connect all the motors, endstops ect. and then power back on…

Thanks, I won’t make that mistake again. Too bad I thought it was the arduino board and tried stripping and replacing the 5v regulator, which I failed at horribly.

Timothy,
FYI, did you know that for CNC use, other than three unused transistors (FETs) and a few LEDs, the RAMPS board is really just a connector between the Arduino and the stepper drivers? It also has a few convenient pins and connectors. See the schematic - http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/f/f6/RAMPS1.4schematic.png from http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4 .

You probably shorted power and ground. What smoked?

Hi Steve,
I didn’t know that, as I’m still new to arduino and ramps alike. So what you are saying is that the ramps board is mainly used for something other than cnc. (I see now, it’s made for 3d printing) Are you saying I may be able to fix my set up without the new ramps? The schematic is quite puzzling to me at the moment, I’m still learning.

As for what smoked, I’m unsure. At the time I was more concerned with the sounds and actions my computer was taking as it’s cost is a bit hiring and I use it for other projects. Other than the sizzling and static shock sound it made initially, followed by a burnt smell I haven’t a clue. Is there a way to check and see which component both the board and shield I may have damaged.

I thought I shorted power and ground afterwards, but at the time it happened I panicked and did not really see which I connected to the pins. So many mistakes on my part, especially when it came down to figuring out what I had done wrong.

Thanks for the info and the reply!

Normally when things go bad the computer should have not reacted at all other than the usb disconnecting in the software. There is some safety between the two, I hope nothing went wrong with it?

So make sure power and usb are removed before you ever plug or unplug anything on the ramps shield. We all learn the hard way.

What I imagine happened (because end stops can be hot plugged) is there is a power, ground, and signal pin on the end stop rail. You must have hit the power pin by mistake and fed power into the board.

If you find the bad component and think you can replace it I have some bad boards here I could send you for parts. Try taking off the shield and just testing the Arduino, to see what half is effected.

Thanks, the computer is ok, I am using it now. I just decided not to do any more debugging with it. I tried with an older computer and the same thing happened. I am testing the arduino now, pins 0-13 work according to this blinking led. Are there any specific test I need to make. Or just check all the pins.

I will always power down from now on. I didn’t know that was an issue. I should have read a little more into it. I may have his the “+” but I don’t see how right now.

Thanks, but I really don’t know how to detect what component might be bad. Nor do I believe, at this point in time, I have any skill with soldering, which I found out by removing the 5v regulator and trying to replace it.