ER-16 Collet, tool pull out

I have one of the 500W 48V spindles with the ER-16 collet. I’ve cleaned the tool collet spindle and nut with acetone and done the nut up as tight as I can. Yet still if the machine chatters to much it’ll pull the tool out of the collet.

Any advice on how to stop this?

Its a 1/4" tool in a 6mm to 7mm collet. everything appears to be the correct size.

EIther it’s a bad collet, or it got junk in the little slots so it can’t compress correctly.

1 Like

Yeah the thing is surgically clean, and I can’t see an issue with the collet, it appears to be manufactured correctly.
My suspicion is that the defect is in the spindle manufacture, that the nut is bottoming out before the taper is smashed all the way down.

I had thet problem with 2 nuts I purchased they were longer than the others and did exactly what you describe I will measure them when I get home

1 Like

The nuts that don’t work a 20mm tall and the ones that do are 18mm. The one that came with the spindle was 18mm tall and I ordered 2 extra without knowing the difference and they don’t work. I did order a 5.pack that are 18mm and they work great

stupid question… are you clipping the collet into the nut first? or putting the collet into the tapper then screwing the nut on??

Not a daft question, its the kind of stupid I might do, but in this case, no I clip the collet to the nut first.
I’ve measure the nut spindle and thread. The nut can bottom before it runs out of thread or other clearance.
I might get the next smaller size collet and try that for a giggle.

How tall is the nut?

17.5mm

That is the on that works for me sorry I’m out of suggestions

After looking repeatedly at this, I’m not sure now that the tool is being pulled out now.
If you look at the out of control holes at the bottom of the sheet in the picture the tool ends up deep into the spoil board, now what I think is going on is that when its shaking this violently the Z is dragged down into the work. I’ve made up a gauge so I can see if the tool is pulling out and not seen it do it yet.

As per the above you can see I did manage to get the machine under control again and making a part, I’d got focused on software settings rather than taking a long hard look at the hardware.
I believe from the various out of control events belts had come lose the core had slop in it and so on.
So dealing with all of that it was back in action.

However the machine itself is actually damaged at this point and I’ll need to do some repairs before using it again. There may be other damage to find, but at the 6 places shown the parts have cracked, some worse than others. I’ll probably print some C shaped parts to glue in place to hold this places together. All the splits are along layer lines, I believe the damage is from the violent shaking the machine has been through, which of course only gets worse after each event.

It did finish the part yesterday acceptably (only one vibration event). This is the last bit I need to get done right now, so the machine can get some TLC.

Are you sure that your spindle rotates in the correct direction?

It wouldn’t be cutting aluminum if it was running backwards.

2 Likes