Estlcam 2.5D tutorial?

Hi to all,

i’ve seen this wonderful video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8_lJPNWDwA) and i would like to create something similar (sure for start something difficult less :D)

I’ve tried to use EstlCam (this is the software used to make it ?) but i have some difficult to create 2.5D model (if i have to create a simple profile ok, but what if i have to create 2.5D ?)

There are some guide for this topic ?

What is the source file to create 2.5D ? A flat image or a model like in a 3D printer ?

Thanks a lot to all!

If you use a .STL file, like a 3D printer a whole new menu opens up. you should be able to get it from there. There are a few things you can do to optimize the speed but a little googling and you should be able to get a decent part out without it.

I will make a 2.5/3D walk through in a week or two.

Ask if you don’t understand anything.

Hi,
i’ve done as you suggest and look some videos.

I’ve setup EstlCam as “Z-Axis origin: Material Upperside”, that because my stock is 10mm taller and my model is 7mm (so i want to start cutting from top to bottom).

The problem now is with RepetierHost, because when i press “Print” Repetier first go at home (and Z Axis have home on bed).

What modification i have to do in Repetier to say “When i press print, start cut from where you are?

I’ve also tried to setup EstlCam as “Machine Bed” but in this way first it cut the bottom of the piece and later go up (this is wrong because in this way Dremel cut too much material each step).

I too do not fully understand how to fully control where it starts. I currently have it as the 0.063" clearance and start at origin.

Did you solved this problem ? I’m trying all configuration but every time it go first home and later start to cut (and sure, the drill is on the bed and not in top of surface!)

I’ve finally resolved!!! I was enabled min_software_endstop on my Marlin, after disable it (and sure, i move my machine in the correct position and reset home) all go fine!!!

I’ve tried to cut my first part and the result is… very bad :smiley: :smiley:

In your video (Mostly Printed CNC Vs. Oak ROUND2! - YouTube) did you have used Roughing and finishing togheter ?

I’ve cut my all part with only finishing but in the last step, machine have started to cut a lot of material (0.5 mm!!!)

I think a tutorial on how make great part will be aprecited to all :slight_smile:

You should not be homing. You put the tool right where you want to start. And hit go.

If you use end stops you need to position them so home is whete you want it to start.

You should Only use end stops if you are changing tools and the home should actually be offset and you need a z touch off.

I will try and make a walkthrough this evening.

You should not have had to change anything in marlin if you are using mine.

Yes, rough and finishing in the same gcode. You rough down to a minimal amount of material with a 45% stepover and then finalize with a 1%-10% stepover depending on desired finish.

Unfortunally i cant use it because i have 8mm 1,25 threaded rood but i have A4988 driver (with max 16th steps) and T2.5 timing belt with 16th Tooth Pulleys :frowning:

Looking in your configurations (here on site), i dont find one with this characteristics.

However, now all go fine :)))

I will wait for some tutorial on how to use EstlCam with .stl and have a better result then mine :)))

You should start with my beta firmware and just change the steps per mm. I think the accelerations and speeds will hold up. At 16th steps you can rapid faster but I don’t recommend it.

Unfortunally this driver dont go at 32th steps… i need to buy other to increase steps…

Where i can found the beta firmware ?

However right now i’m happy to has done the first part, later maybe i will have better results :slight_smile:

16th steps are fine. I use the other drivers for different reasons.

firmware - https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/need-some-beta-testers-for-some-new-firmware-stock-machines-only-please/

ok, you did found another tester :slight_smile:

I will change the parameters for my belt/threaded and i let you know!

Uploaded th firmware and modified some axis direction (just because i have pinned differently my motors).

I’ve changed steps as (like prusa calculator says http://prusaprinters.org/calculator/):

DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80.0, 80.0, 2560.0, 90.0} // Belt T2.5 with 16th

I’m not more confident about the third parameter, i’m trying to up Z axis to 10mm but i think him go up to 8.

However, the script go well (as you said, with the first script i notice a very hard break about the motors).

Now i will try to mill with a Dremel 3mm drill.

done!!

Francisco,
For your 8mm/1.25pitch threaded rod your firmware should have:
Z Microsteps/mm = (16Microsteps/Step)(200 Steps/Revolution)(1Revolution/1.25mm) = 2560 Microsteps/mm.
So you do have the correct value. Are you sure about your Z measurement?

Backing in topic, i have a model with a phrase (downloaded here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1181494) and i’ve setup EstlCam like this:

Roughing:
Tool diameter 3 mm
Step over 80%
Depth per pass 1 mm
Allowanve 0,30mm
Feddrate 15,0 mm
RPM 10k

Finishing:
3,0mm
Stepover 2%
allowance 0
Feedrate 10,0mm

Computing precisin 0,05mm

With this configuration (that will need 2,5 hours to complete the work!!) the phrase Kiss is veeeeerrryyyy smooth and pratically collapsed -> not very slim like in the model…

The three line above Kiss disappear

The last phrase Army disappear too…

Hi steve,

i’m almost sure about the measure because i have a wood 10mm (1 cm ) taller (measured with caliber) and after in Repetier i press plus 10 on Z axis, this piece dont fit under the Mill.

It remain 0,3mm under the top surface of the wood

Put some calipers on your tool, is it 3mm exactly? Did you follow the estlcam walkthrough for all the basic settings like gcode output units?

Roughing step over shouldn’t be any higher than 45%.

Sounds like your z steps might be wrong, or wrong output units. Can you upload a picture, that makes it much easier to see whats going on.

Yes, i’ve measured the mill again and it is 3mm.

I’ve follow the instruction and Preset is set to Marlin with length unit “Millimeter” and Feed Unit “Millimeter per Minute”.

I’ve tick Use arc and I/J coordinates are relative.

This is the result: null

Is totally unprecise but this depends to the bad wood and the stock has moved on finishing :smiley:

However, i just look at the phrase Kiss, as you can see this is “fat”.

The result you see in this pic is exactly what i see on RepetierHost preview.