EstlCAM Free Machining Settings

Before I get to topic of my first post, I’d like to express my gratitude to Ryan for giving so much of yourself and your work, and to the MPCNC community for sharing your knowledge and support. Well done everyone, you are awesome :clap:

I am using EstlCAM version 11.118 and have successfully completed some simple 2D milling projects in foam (test cuts) and wood. Now I’m trying to get the settings right for a project using EstlCAM’s Free Machining feature. The problem I am having, is that the object to be machined has a rounded pocket (see image) but the settings I am using create straight sides and an odd shaped curve as shown in the tool path preview (also in the image).

I am using 3.18mm bits and have tried setting the Margin to -1.59, 0 and 1.59. -1.59 creates the tool path shown in the image, and 0 creates something similar. 1.59 creates a nicely rounded pocket but also cuts into the flat surface on the top of the object.

Fusion 360 was used to create the STL object and the DXF drawing that I used for the mask.

Any help will be much appreciated.

2 Likes

Try using the tool path the other direction or even waterline, looks like of the 3 you might have picked the one that would not work. It also tends to be good practice to do roughing and finishing in different styles.

Thanks for the suggestion Ryan. I tried using the other 2 directions, but unfortunately ended up with the same result. One thing I have noticed is that using a mask seems to make a big difference. The screenshots below show the different results when using, and not using, a mask.

When not using a mask, the shape is a lot closer to the actual pocket profile but ends up adding a fillet on the edges. The other issue I’m having with using a mask is that the whole top surface is milled, which I’d like to avoid.