Estlcam +Rambo 1.4?

Hi,

My MPCNC is running Rambo 1.4.

Is Estlcam able to control the MPCNC directly with the Rambo 1.4? In it’s hardware setup it shows Arduino Mega - I believe Rambo is a mega based board? If Estlecam does work with the Rambo, do any of the default setting/pinouts etc have to be changed?

I was about to buy Estlcam when I saw some posts from mid 2018 saying that Estlcam no longer supported anything other than Uno

TIA

Gary

OK, contacted Estlcam’s developer directly and found that ramps based boards are not supported. Very disapponting as Estlcam has some great features when directly connected…

Gary

Australia

There’s some screw shields for the 2560 on tindie, and I think someone developed one for estlcam use with pololu style drivers, and they posted it here.

You can use an uno and a CNC shield as well, fairly cheap. Genuine Uno’s are somewhere between 5-12 USD, and CNC shields are $15-ish with drivers.

Thanks for the heads up on the tindie stuff. Nice looking board that is designed for the MPCNC that runs Grible there.

cheers

Gary

Australia

You can use any grbl board on the mpcnc, there’s nothing specific about the mpcnc that requires a special board. In fact, I would recommend grbl, unless you use the dual endstop firmware as GRBL doesn’t support more than 3 axis.

EDIT: I see that ESP32 board with 5 drivers running grbl. I see two limit switches for each one, but I’m curious how that works, so I’m checking the schematic to see how the endstops are setup. Mostly curious if they’re just in series and require both to close/open to trigger it.

Aaron,

My MPCNC is running the dual endstops - that’s why that ESP32 board really interests me.

Everything is currently running well on my recently completed Rambo 1.4 build, It’s just that I’d like to avoid transferring stuff from one program to another continually, hence why I’d like to ultimately run Estlcam as a direct controller…

Gary

Australia

ESTLcam doesn’t run on the ESP32 board, and ESTLcam doesn’t support 5 separated drivers on the Mega either, I think. I emailed Bart to see what how that board handles the endstops as neither GRBL 1.1 or 0.9 do more than 3 axis/stepper channels, unlike Marlin on the Rambo 1.4 which has 5 stepper channels. GRBL currently just clones the axis, they are not separate at this time. If you use ESTLCAM as the controller (replacing marlin or grbl), then you may have to wire up the endstops in series so that it triggers once both switches are activated.

Ah, I thought Estlcam would work because it listed GRBL in its cnc controler setup list…

Oh well, Estlcam for creating gcode, and Repetier to run it… Unless there is anything better you can suggest?

Gary

Australia

Is is the 1.3 mini Rambo supported by Estlcam?

No. EstlCAM only supports their design of the Uno + shield natively. But we only use EstlCAM for CAM, not for control. That’s done with either Repetier-Host or files on a SD card and the display.

I like this. Is this possible with an other software ?

(its German, but see min 24:53)

1 Like

I’ve been doing some digging into this recently because I have probably made a massive mistake. I am also very new to arduino and ramps. I have an mpcnc with Rambo 1.4 board. I was running marlin and using for printing. I recently started to switch it over the a router. I notice that Estlcam 11.116 has arduinomega listed as a controller option. I have been under the impression that the rambo board is using a arduinomega controller. I stupidly went ahead and tried programming the controller without considering the consequences. I get a connection and led feedback when I activate the spindle button on the controller window so I definitely have some sort of connection. Movement is not functioning though. Is this just a matter of assigning outputs in the settings? Or will this just not work at all and its just half working right now? I went to check and see if I could run the Rambo board again in Rep-Host and I have no connection. So I assume it wiped marlin and added its own firmware. I went into arduino to try to flash marlin again and I cant connect to the board at all. My current assumption is that Estlcam also removed the bootloader from my Rambo.

So, now I’m a little stuck and wondering if anyone can shed some light. Can I push through the setup with Estlcam or is that useless? Should I re flash the bootloader to my Rambo and does anyone have any insight on how I should go about that?

Any advice is appreciated.

-Bernie

Just some more info on the issues. I have flashed marlin on this board in the past with no issues. Now I receive message “native serial port, can’t obtain info” from arduino IDE and these errors:

Arduino: 1.9.0-beta (Windows 10), Board: “RAMBo”

Build options changed, rebuilding all
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\ccn5Dj09.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `main’:

C:\Users\admin\Downloads\arduino-1.9.0-beta-windows\arduino-PR-beta1.9-BUILD-113\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/main.cpp:43: undefined reference to `setup’

C:\Users\admin\Downloads\arduino-1.9.0-beta-windows\arduino-PR-beta1.9-BUILD-113\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/main.cpp:46: undefined reference to `loop’

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling for board RAMBo.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Use the current release of Arduino not the the beta or nightly. Also start with a fresh download of my firmware.