Estlcam under Linux?

FWIW, I installed EstlCAM11 on my newer 18.04 machine today, and it seems to be working fine (although this machine has a dpi of around 200, and not everything is respecting the dpi setting, so some stuff is tiny). I’ll update here if I have any problems.

I once again didn’t install corefonts, and I am using playonlinux. The script Brumby posted looks like it’s probably doing the same thing I did with mouse clicks.

I also have a ton of fonts in the text editor. I have a feeling it’s because I installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer to get all the microsoft ones (and I already had all the Linux ones).

Does anyone make the Estlcam work in Ubuntu 20.04? I had no problem in Ubuntu 19.10, 64bit, but I seem to not be able to make it work in Ubuntu 20.04.

Not me. I am staying on 18.04 for a while. I don’t usually get the stable releases right away. I wait for a few point releases to come out.

1 Like

I realize this is an old post, but was wanting to ask you about Estlcam and Linux.
I have manged to get the program running OK, but notice I cannot create both tabs and a lead in or start point on the cut. The 2nd command eliminates the first, so I can have one or the other but not both.

Does your installation suffer that problem?
I am using Linux Mint 19.3 with LinuxCNC ISO.
Thanks

I have not tried that myself. Do you think that is a limitation with Linux, or estlcam itself? I suspect there is something conflicting there, since it usually leads in after a tab.

Estlcam in Windows has full use of all features like this. I primarily use my Estlcam on my cnc converted mill to cut any metals. I use a lead in point to reduce the need for plunge cutting so its been tested thoroughly.
Otherwise Estlcam is still usable in Wine, and with Linuxcnc would appear to be a good combination.
What other Cad to CAM Linux friendly software is there?

I’ve only used estlcam and kiri:moto myself.

I was mistaken. I checked out my WIn7 Estlcam installation and it too has the same behavior as Linux Estlcam - there is no failure - Christian just confirmed this. So Estlcam’s good to go in Linux.

I know that this thread is a bit old but I wanted to let anybody know that it seems as if the 64 bit version of Estlcam can be installed under wine. Though I am not really sure if it is really a 64 bit exectuable even when it says so because when the executable itself is inspected with the ‘file’ command the following output is produced:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Estlcam11 > file Estlcam.exe
    Estlcam.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386 Mono/.Net assembly, for MS Windows

The installation itself was a bit a pain in the a… because there where more then one gigabyte of dependencies pulled in. On my debian buster (10) the official wine packages were outdated so I had to downloaded the binary packages for debian from the winehq website: https://wiki.winehq.org/Download.
The installation instructions from their website https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian worked more or less flawlessly ( <-- I said more or less ;).
After that I download the latest winetricks executable from here because the debian winetricks package was outdated.
Only 2 more commands where necessary in order to install the Estlcam 64 bit version:

> winetricks dotnet40 gdiplus d3dx9_36
> wine Estlcam_64_11237.exe   // (> wine64 Estlcam_64_11237.exe works aswell)

I also installed Estlcam in a virtualbox for Windows XP 64 bit and Windows 7. In Windows XP the executable did not start and did not give me a proper error messages. So I decided not to put more time and effort in that and tried with a Windows 7 guest system. Probably there only were some dependencies missing but without a proper error message its hard to tell.
On Windows7 .NET 40 had to be downloaded and installed. After that it worked flawlessly. Since the Estlcam installation under wine is faster I probably will stick with the wine version though.

3 Likes

This is great! I’ve tried both the 32 and 64 versions on Ubuntu, without any luck. I’ll check the winetrick and extra repositories when I get home from easter holidays. Thanks!

I am still not sure if its really the 64-bit version even when it says so, because the executable still seems to be 32-bit running in a Intel 80386 Mono/.Net assembly. But who cares :yum:.

I am curious - please let me know how it works out for you .

I use Mint 20.1 Cinnamon and try:

PlayOnLinux --> the directx9 download hash do not match the hash in the script so failed

wine from default repository --> the same issue with installing directx9

winehq as wrote above with latest version of winetricks --> works but with several graphic issues.
The tool window and all other windows which poping up is moving behind the main window every few seconds and all other dialogs do have the same “disappear” issue.

crossover (no freeware) trial version --> setup works fine (have to install directx9 after initial setup again) but here are no window “disappear” issue and it works best from all methods I try until now.

proton --> install with docker container as shown here:

Do not work anymore.

For now crossover seams the best workaround so far.

I had the same issues - so I installed all the newest version of wine and winetricks from the winehq website.

Strange - I dont have these graphic issues. On my debian buster box it works like charm. Not sure what exactly is causing this issue on mint. Do you get some error messages?

There is no error message, the tool selector and all other pop up windows disapear every three seconds in the background of the main window. Not even that they also moved behind it. So if you resize the main window to get space nearby for the tool selector it moves behind then main window.

I use Linux Mint 20.1 with Cinnamon desktop.

I haven’t been able to make it work. Maybe it’s because I’m running Ubuntu? I don’t keep anything on the shop laptop, so it wouldn’t cost me anything to change to Debian. I’m worried that the old macbook I’m using could have some graphical issues, no matter what approach I take.

Honestly, I’m still quite confused by linux, so it might happen that I have tons of leftovers from all wine-installs that I’m not able to purge… I guess a re-install would be good anyways!

Perhaps a proper windows 10 VM would be better: https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-10-virtualbox-linux/

I’m using ubuntu 18.04 (but not the gnome or ubuntu windows managers, I use i3wm) and I use it all the time. I am using estlcam32-11 in playonlinux. Let me know if I can probe anything for you. I don’t use wine much, so I don’t know if I could figure out an error message, but I can try. I do know linux well, but it is a big eco system, so you can get in a dark corner that I haven’t seen before.

I very rarely have to reinstall anything. I try to install as much as I can from apt, using the default PPAs. Adding PPAs or installing from another source, I try to be very careful about how far it reaches into the system. Even pip gets put in virtualenvs so it doesn’t affect my system.

Ubuntu is based on Debian - so I guess it should also run on Ubuntu well.

In this case I also think a fresh install is the way to go. I have found that a simple stock debian is more basic, less complex and usually faster than Ubuntu. In your case it would not cost you anything to install Debian - so I would give it a try and see how it works out? Think you could learn a lot and its really not too difficult. If you want I could help you with the setup? If it does not work out you still could try different solutions. I have no experience with playonlinux like @Jeffeb3 - so I cannot judge on that.

This is working for me on a pretty old laptop with Manjaro 21.0.3 installed!

Thank you

Hey cool! Glad to hear that it worked out for you :+1:t3: :slight_smile:

Tried installing Debian on an old macbook with broadcom wifi. Got the unofficial image with all the drivers for proprietary hardware. It didn’t work. Hooked up ethernet for installation, ended up standing for hours updating packages for unofficial sources (through the GUI-tool). I think I’ll go for Ubuntu, it’s honestly more streamlined for an amateur like me. Hopefully I’ll figure out estlcam with the help of this thread. I’ll let you know!