Estlcam varying cut depth on same tool path

Sorry I may not be using the right terminology here. I am doing through cuts and what I would like to do is to make a shallower cut on the first pass. I have found doing a very shallow cut the first pass reduces the chipping a lot. I have been cheating it by just setting my zero slightly above the work piece but I think it would be more consistent do it when making the tool paths and just set it at the zero.

I don’t think there is an easy way except to make 2 cuts, like the estlcam walk through I just put up yesterday. Start the first cut from zero (the top of your material) but set the depth of cut very shallow, then on your second cut start it at the previous cut height and go down from there.

I can’t think of any way to do it from and stl (3D cut) other than taking shallow passes.

Actually, now that I think about it. Do just like that walk through. leave an allowance and come back over it with a finishing pass, That is the proper way and it works in 3D as well.

you could also just set up two tools one with the shallow plunge rate then do a fake tool change it will pause but all you have to do is hit any key, having it cut with the other depth.

I’ve never been able to resume after an estlcam pause.