Estlcam with experimental Arduino Mega2560 / Ramps 1.4 support

You can go back and forth you will just need to reflash the marlin firmware when you want to switch.

1 Like

vicious1 What settings did you end up using ? I am using your hardware package

whats up just fished getting my MPCNC up and test running love the software will be super killer soon a we get some limit switches on the mega/ramps 1.4 !

settings right now are

200 30mm/s
200 30mm/s
4345 10mm/s

running ramps 1.4
81oz nema 17’s
16t pulleys GT2 belt
5/16-18 lead screw

Guys, sorry haven’t found a separate ESTLCAM thread, so will ask my noob question here:

1. How can I change the speed of engraving/cutting in ESTLCAM? (or is this a task for control software, in my case Repetier? I found the general “Speed” control in Repetier-host, and I am lowering it to get the lower speeds of cutting, but I feel like it is not the rightest method :slight_smile: )
  2. How to change Z cutting step. Searched everywhere, but can not find how to change the layer thickness from default 1mm to 0.5mm

My problems come from using very weak spindle ( I’ve got Proxxon 100W at the moment ), and I would like to make cutting less aggressive comparing to default :slight_smile:

Sergey:

1. In ESTLCAM, in the upper right corner are the “Tools”. Think of these as just a list of “saved settings”. Besides the width of the end mill you’re using, hover your mouse over the other columns and find one for X/Y feedrate. That is the cutting speed for horizontal movements. There is also a Z feedrate which is the cutting speed for Z moves (plunging or drilling).
  2. In the same are as 1 (above), there is a column for Z steps (it has a little picture of steps). That is where you can changes the Z cutting step.

You can also change the name of the pre-defined defaults to make sense to the end mills you are using or add your own.

settings.png

Hi,

I’ve just uploaded another experimental version (9.017) - now with limit switches, error and probe input + spindle output:

• Limit switches are on the limit switch connector.
  • Error, probe and spindle are located on AUX 4 on the right side beginning with the topmost pin.
  • The "Program Arduino" button needs to be pressed before the changes work.

Christian

Great to hear. Will test it tomorrow. Need to get a touchplate connected to test. Dont have Endstops installed, so someone else needs to test this feature… thank you for further development

1 Like

To make sure I am setting things up correct, how should the jumpers be installed? I thought the default jumper settings from Ryan were 1/32. Christian states in his program to “set drivers to 1600 steps/rev for best performance”. What should the jumper settings be for this?

1/8 if they’re typical 200 steps/rev 1.8° steppers.

I just finished assembly of my first build of mpcnc using the kit from Vicious. Immediately set up estlcam with the 9.016 build. Happy to say that it was pretty much plug and play without changing any jumpers (I particularly like the built in arduino programming after having problems flashing marlin with the new arduino ide program’s fpost error) To be fair i am currently still printing tool mounts for the dw660 router so my experience has been based off plotting with the pen mount found on thingiverse however i am still very impressed thus far with how smoothly this operates and I look forward to the continued growth of this program.

Tried it today, works quite good. Touchpad sensing is working great. Also switched back to 1/8 microsteps as mentioned above, but imho the machine is not as smooth as in 1/16. Any reason why we should go for 1/8? Thinking of going back to 1/16 for x and y.

Its under your individual tool settings

Feed is your speed
and Z with picture of like stairs sets your cutting depth

I attached a picture

Tested All End stops Working.

Having difficulty setting up touch plate I assume by the Instructions I will have-to unplug my LCD Screen as it looks like it uses Aux 4 already :frowning: will stink to have to take box apart to reconfigure as 3d Printer. I have tried sending 5v to top pin of aux 4.

also does anyone know what the (*1) under limit switch Z is supposed to mean.

Also I made a STL for the Touch Plate just made one today if anyone needs its I will put link Below

Could you please share how you have your touch pad wired I cant seem to get it :frowning:

Thanks
GOD Bless
Marvin

Tested All End stops Working.

Having difficulty setting up touch plate I assume by the Instructions I will have-to unplug my LCD Screen as it looks like it uses Aux 4 already ? will stink to have to take box apart to reconfigure as 3d Printer. I have tried sending 5v to top pin of aux 4.

also does anyone know what the (*1) under limit switch Z is supposed to mean.

Also I made a STL for the Touch Plate just made one today if anyone needs its I will put link Below

Hi,

I’ve not been aware of the LCD.
I just re-uploaded version 9.017 with the spindle output on Aux4 configured as input to avoid damage if there is something connected to Aux4.
What are unused pins on the board I should use preferrably?

Christian

Aux 4 (pinrow opposite side of Ramps Power side) second pin top is input for sensor, second lowest pin is ground. Connect ground to drillbit and sensor pin to touchplate. Best would be a shielded cable (used an old keyboard cable, usb works the same). But as stated above the pinout might change to free the connector for lcd. Description also in estlcam. You have to enable the pin in estlcam also.

To christian: maybe aux1 or aux2 would be an option not to interfere with lcd setups.

Thank you so much for clarifying wiring My Touch Plate is now working

First off let me say estlcam is the BEST software. if you are at all just a router like me then buy it, you will be a very happy person. I bought it now since last update “great stuff btw” Repetier-Host for router was very clunky to me.
I bought this controller just for this update… ebay uno + ramps I did upgrade to this driverbetter driver work great end stops everything works. OK but I do have a few questions. there is not allot of set up info in estls web site… with that said, how do I go about setting up touch off plate? right now I have it set as a z stop is that the right way or is there a pinout that we use just for that? also how do I make it zero the z in the negative rather then up in the positive I have tried reversing the axes worked great for touch off but when cutting the z of course cut starting at bottom and work its way up :P.

also the travel on all axes is messed up anyone ever set one up using my setup? I mean my cnc is built by the book mpcnc… but uno and ramps is different then they on they use.