EstlcamShield for maximum functionallity

Hello,
I have been experimenting quite a long time with Estlcam and I always thought to be very limited with a standard RAMPS board running Marlin in combination with Estlcam.

Since the official Estlcam hardware is quite primitive and definitely not suited for an Arduino Mega, I decided to develop my own PCB, which should be as simple to use as a RAMPS board but allows me to use all functionalities of Estlcam.

I designed the PCB in a way that it works with standard DRV8825 Stepper Drivers and all important software-supported pins are provided on the PCB via separate headers.

I hope that my PCB may help a lot of MPCNC enthusiasts which experience the same problems as me.

You can find my design on my GitHub page --> https://github.com/GatCode/EstlcamShield

Have a nice day!

[attachment file=94003]

Nice !

1 Like

Hi,

Constructive criticism, both the Allegro (A2968 is it?) and the TI (DRV8825) drivers are not designed to have a heatsink stuck on the driver chip themselves. They are designed to dissipate heat via the PCB, that’s why there is a square PCB area on the bottom of the carrier PCB. This area needs to have a heatsink stuck to it via thermal glue.

I’m running nearly 2A in this arrangement and forced air cooling.

1 Like

Neat! Did you have to do anything special or just basically connecting wires?

1 Like

@Matt - thank you very much for feedback! It seems logical to me! If I understand you correct, the pins are soldered the wrong way by default. This means that normally I have to resolder the pin headers on the DRV8825 drivers up side down?

@Jeffeb3 - no, basically its just a rewiring and three capacitors for the stepper drivers.

-- NORMAL --

Hi Gatcode,

In my DRV’s the pins are wired correctly when viewed from the top and the potentiometer is also viewable. Now in this orientation the heating pad is underneath (main board side) . I used additional extended headers to allow for the correct mounting of heatsinks - basically I raised the driver board up 10mm or so.

On my RAMPS1.6 board the capacitors (and jumpers) are mounted in-between the driver pins which is the the correct mounting of the heatsink is such a PITA

1 Like

@Matt, thank you very much for your great idea!