EtslCam and F-Engrave issues

I am attempting (actually first attempt) to make a cribbage board with inlay in it. I am using the same DXF file from CAD for both EtslCam and F-Engrave. However when I try testing the code in the simulator (NC Viewer) the EtslCam is coming in way bigger. It has got to be a setting I’m missing. The DXF file is in Inches.

Pocket Cut in F-Engrave

Peg Holes Cut in Etslcam

What are your settings on Estlcam?
looks like you have it set to inches and your gcode is been generated to reflect that.

The DXF is in inches so I imported it in inches. Should I convert it over to millimetres?

It depends on what you have set EstlCam basic settings to…here it is mm so you must import in mm. If you have the .DXF in inches then change the settings in Setup/basic settings/length unit dxf settings to inches.

Is there a way to measure the item in estlcam or do I have to trust it’s importing it properly?

Also here’s the screen capture of my settings.

In estlcam with file open first
View then
Grid.
Then
Work area

Middle mouse button pushed and not moved will give position and push and hold and move will give position from 1 to 2

okay that just cleared some things up… everything seems to be to scale in estlcam. I’m going to have to check F-Engrave to be sure I have those files the correct scale. And I still have not figured out why in NCviewer the view will not show all of the board.

Still didn’t fix anything. Both are in MM. Both come in and look right but when I put the g-code in the simulator they are not the same size.

Would you mind share the file? So we can take a look?

1 Like

yes absolutely. Do you need the DXF files or the G-code files?

Here are the DXF files.
DXF files for F-Engrave and Estlcam.zip (380.6 KB)

This is the simulator I’m using.
G-code Simulator

Let me know if there is a better one out there.

What are you expecting? how do they relate ?

When I open the Gcode in the simulator the file from F-engrave is bigger than the grid in the simulator. But when I open the file from Estlcam it is 3 or 4 times bigger than the f-engrave file. I assume you would want both files to be the same size in the simulator otherwise I’m exceeding the limits of my CNC.

I’m still learning so don’t be afraid to correct me.

So I’m sure it’s user error.

like this?you were talking of inlay as 2 woods or v carve?

My plan is to do an inlay. I sent you the pocket and then the peg holes coming from estlcam to drill the holes. What you’ve posted looks like the final product I’m after. Did you do that in estlcam or f-engrave or something else?

oh sorry… two woods glued together type inlay. In the form of a v-carve.

1 Like

V-carve pro but estlcam can do the same with a bit of work .