Explain me about CNC Axis

Hello World,

I have own new CNC 3018. I will start with V1 Engineering CNC machine as soon, I expect to learn with CNC 3018 first, then I understand how to use V1 Engineering CNC.

Please can you explain about of this 3 lists at below:

• Step per mm
  • Max Rate
  • Max Acceleration

My CNC 3018 bed size is 300 x 180 mm.

“It depends”…

I am assuming you want to know the specs on a MPCNC. And the answer is “It depends”. It depends on the size of your build. It depends on the tubes you use in your build. It depends on the pulleys you use on your build. It depends on the control board you use. It depends on the drivers you use. It depends on the stepper motors you use. It depends on the spindle you use. It depends on how square your final build is. it depends on a lot of different factors.

The default specs that will likely come around here in a little while are going to be a bit conservative. Then we’ll start seeing some anecdotal numbers, some wildly insane outliers from folks who have gone above and beyond the original design and over-engineered their builds to eke out every mm/s of speed, and you’ll get a better sense of what the design is capable of. But it will still all come down to how you build your machine, and what your comfort level is when running it.

The folks here could give you better advice if they knew what you were looking for. Do you want hyper-detailed resolution? (look for 0.9° motors and drivers that have lots of microstepping) Are you looking for full sheet cutting capability? (Maybe the LR2 is for you) Are you looking to cut aluminum or even steel? (Then you want to scale down the “stock” MPCNC to a smaller size, or maybe a LR2 with a plasma torch) Are you wanting to cut foamboard for RC planes? (Maybe look at the needle cutters instead of a spindle) And there are threads upon threads about lasers and cutting and etching with them.

Are you asking for numbers for the 3018?

The best answer I can give would be to use google to see what values other’s are using for that machine. There is also a way you can easily adjust the steps per mm. Typically this is done by using the controller to move the spindle a known distance, measuring the actual distance it traveled, and adjusting the steps per mm until the two match up.

The other two values will be limitations of the machine. The idea is to slowly increase those values until the machine does something it’s not supposed to, and then back off ~10% or so.

There should be values in the documentation on this site for the MPCNC of what values ‘most’ people use on their machines. Except for steps per mm, which I tuned shortly after building my machine, I have not changed any of the other values from what the documentation recommended.