Faulty Stepper motor

I’ve been using my MNPCNC for a few months now with little to no problems, but ive recently had an issue with one of my stepper motors working correctly. The issue is just one of the stepper motors on the Y axis (the far one) is not locking as it moves, resulting in extra movement and skewing of the axis and non parallel movements on that axis. Its weird because this has not always happened, and the other 4 steppers are still working prefectly. Ive double and triple checked my wiring and im sure that not the problem, but i will try to get some pics anyway. Has anyone else had this problem? Im thinking it might just be a faulty motor so might just replace it. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

The common reason of this behavior is loose grub screws on the stepper pulley. It is so common that “check your grub screws” has almost become a running joke on this forum. If the grub screws are okay, then unplug the correctly running stepper and try movement with just the misbehaving stepper to collect more information. You can help the unplugged stepper by hand to see if the other stepper has a intermittent wiring issue.

5 Likes

Well you were absolutely correct! Bit annoyed I didn’t figure that one out to be honest. Cheers!!

2 Likes

Grub screws strike again!

2 Likes