Feet are a bit loose

I’m assembling all my parts and I’ve found that the feet are a bit loose on the vertical conduit. When I clamp them fully closed the conduit can still be rotated. The Z Lower and Z motor are a perfect fit as are the rollers, it’s just the feet that are too large.

Should I re-print the clamping parts at ~99%, or simply shim the conduit with some Kapton tape or the like?

Are you sure you printed the right ones? The feet are typically thought to be too tight by people who are building their first MPCNC.

1 Like

They’re “J” feet and locks, and I’m using 25.4mm stainless tube that I’ve calipered. My feet measure ~25.7 across, and I get a similar measurement when I bring the STL into Fusion 360, although it’s hard to measure the mesh properly.

When I turn the conduit in the clamp there is some noticeable ovaling on the metal, I assume from the clamp they used when cutting the pieces. I can easily rotate them to the tightest position and epoxy them in.

I really would like some advice on what to do.

When I use Fusion to measure the STL’s I get 25.4 on the Z Lower and Z motor conduit clamps, but 25.7+ on the feet. Is the oversizing intentional, and should I not worry about the conduit being mobile in the foot clamps?

They should still clamp the conduit.

The foot parts do clamp the conduit but even with the clamp fully compressed the conduit can move (with effort). If I sand the clamping gap I can get a bit more constriction on the conduit.

The Lock_Corner parts don’t clamp symmetrically because of the fixed circumference at the top of the clamping area. It’s not an issue if you start with a snug fit, but I didn’t. I decided to reprint the Lock_Corners at 99% scale and move on.

As long as the conduit doesn’t slide up or down in the feet you are going to be ok.