Got side tracked with my initial build, but did some tests and found that the middle was too loose, so spent a lot of time fine tuning my 3D printer, which now is as good as it gets. And along the way I had to finish off a storage area as a new home for the CNC machine, so that and other life things delayed me quite a bit, but that was a good thing since the new middle is much nicer.
I came up with a quick and dirty mount for the limit switch at the bottom of the Z axis. I’m still refining it, but once it is to a point I am satisfied I’ll stick it up on Thingiverse.
I also printed a box and super glued it to the X axis mount for the Z axis drag chain to raise the height. It was quicker than reprinting the mount. And I modified the drag chain mount for the Z axis so that it fits within the upper and lower motor mount parts.
Finally I designed a ball point pen holder using the new blank tool mount. (It would be nicer if there was a true model file for those of us without access to Solidworks:))
I’ve run some tests with the new middle and the pen and the repeatability is great, and it looks like it really is dead on.
So in the next day or two the pen will be replaces with the DeWalt router and we’ll see if there are some other things that I’ll need to tweak when actually cutting something.
I’ve put a quick and dirty video on YouTube. For the next one with it cutting with the router I should have a tripod and a better camera setup but I wanted to get this posted.
I’m using GRBL on an Arduino UNO and for the test I used bCNC, although I have been playing with ChiliPeppr as well.
Just a test file I built with some generated shapes modified to just draw at Z0 with the pen.
I’ll add some still shots in a couple of days as well.