Finish Pass Strangeness

Hey all,

I’ve been using my Lowrider 2 (Rambo Mini, Pi 3B+) sucessfully for a couple of years now, I also have a Maslow that I built a couple of years before that.

I’m using CNC.js on V1PI 1.19.23 that I just installed. This is my first project with 1.19.23. 1.19.22 would randomly lock up on me while cutting or lasering, I haven’t got that yet with the newer version. Finger crossed.

Anyway, I’m making a retirement plaque out of walnut (pictured is a pine test piece) that I designed in Vectric Aspire 11.014. The roughing pass (3/4 inch core box bit) went fine and the finish pass (1/4 inch ball nose bit) started out fine and about 10 minutes in started cutting random straight grooves for no reason. I witnessed the first errant cut: It was cutting from center out with a 10% stepover climb cut when about 10 minutes in the router stopped and backed up about 7 inches to the edge before continuing the G-Code as it was supposed to. It did this 5 or 6 more times in different spots before I stopped it.

There isn’t anything wrong with the G-Code, it simulates fine in Aspire, NC Corrector, and CNC.js. I have also run the finish pass on my Lowrider two (2) other times without issue.

See attached photo, unwanted grooves highlighted in black. So, is there a ghost in the machine somewhere? Is there a temporary folder on the V1PI microSD card that needs cleaned out? Sun Spots?

Thank you,
Paul

Well yes and no. You could be asking the machine to move too fast so it just ignores those commands, or you could have overheated your driver and when that happens it just stops moving (curves turn into straight lines).

Random errors are tough sometimes. Are your g0 and g1 feedrates defined and within reason? Does your firmware need them on every line or is it some of our newer firmware.

Aspire, and whatever post processor you use might not be doing things nice. So it will preview fine but that does not mean it is setup correctly for your control board.

1 Like

I think maybe it was my feeds and speeds were too high.

I just recently bought several new Amana tapered ball nose bits and the Amana database I installed in Aspire had some weird-ass starting specs. Like, a 1 inch depth of cut per pass for a 1/32 bit, for example.

This might have been my problem, although not wildly out-of-spec.

I’ve been using my LR2 since 2019 or so, dozens and dozens of projects. Before the pandemic at any rate and never had this problem before.

If I figure out just what was going on, I’ll post the result.

Thanks again for your help, Ryan.

I absolutely love my Lowrider, thanks for bringing it into the world.

Paul

2 Likes