First Drag knife Cuts

n suggested using a mirror as a surface. Unfortunately my design is is bigger than 12x12 and haven’t found a mirror big enough that will fit on my work area. I was considering using a piece of laminate counter top, has a smooth surface and I don’t care if it ruins the surface. Any other suggestions?

I have used a large cutting mat that I had bought for the wife. I think I had bought it for her at Walmart.

I also used the Cricut cutting mats that the sell for their machines. They have a sticky front so it helps hold the vinyl flat. Then I just taped the plastic mat to my spoilboard. You can see the green mat in this video: https://youtu.be/fdaaWetURGU

Ok, I apologize, no pics. I made my first cut (stencil 10 mil). Came out fairly good. I did not have the knife holder secured and it flexed a bit. Most of the cuts were fine, all the way through and no marks on the mat, Circut suggested by David. However, there were multiple lines, especial in long runs that scored but did not cut. Also there were some score lines from the rapid movement part of the file. I have secured the knife holder so no more flex. When I set my Z0, there was a bit of indentation. Did I have my Z to low, and my knife not “long” enough? Or will fixing the flex keep the holder perpendicular and the cuts will be fine? I was planning on raising the z, and extending the knife blade making it a bit longer.

I have a youtube video I made when I set the Z height on mine. I think the link is in the thread I wrote about using the drag knife.

Maybe not a video, but I talk about it here: