First try mpcnc

Hey, I now want to go milling for the first time. i want to mill in mdf but i don’t know how many rpm and mm / s i should use. below you see a photo with what I want to mill and how deep.

Start with some slow air cuts, just to get a feel for how quickly things will move and to check your start point and work area are all where you think they are.
I have no experience with rpm, but mdf is fairly soft, so I’m guessing 10k rpm is fine (I go with low speeds to avoid noise, but it’s a trade off. 0.5mm depth of cut is on the low side, but at 20mm/s is likely to be OK.
What’s really useful is to compare output with one variable at a time changed. So why not cut at your chosen depth 0.5mm at 5/10/15/20 mm/s and compare the outcomes? I try to keep notes too, or I forget what I changed in the settings!

Thanks you,

And for this wood?

How much rpm?

Sorry for my bad English, I am 14 years old and I try to do my best for learning all about this.

Take a look at the milling basics page. You should try some test cuts and be patient at first. Every machine is different.

I would suggest getting a notebook to keep nearby and write down what setting you used, and what bit, what sized work, and how well it went. The 15 and 16 year old you will appreciate as much detail as possible. You’ll quickly build a library of results and you can interpolate between them to make good guesses for new materials.

1 Like

thank you very much,

I think I can get a lot of information from this forum.

if you have a website or a webshop, I might be able to take a look

1 Like

You do web development? There are a couple of open source web projects here. Or there might be a need for 1-2 more :slight_smile: