FOSS milling toolchain: freecad gbrl on ramps – discussion

I keep losing posts.

Even posts that have been there, when edited vanish. Don’t know why. (Could be due to using @)

So once again:

Thanks Leon for the link. I have been searching for it, but could not find it!

Great work by Pablo!

I think there are common bots that will make a test post, get past moderation and then edit to add links and stuff.

1 Like

sorry, I didn’t get it - what does that mean?

Yesterday it was awful. Several times, even when editing a post that has been there for hours, it vanished. New posts the same. It was e.g. when trying to reference @ pablo

Major post edits, or several in a row, look like spam, or at least it gets blocked. Changing spelling doesn’t seem to trigger it but adding links or a significant amount of words and pictures gets you flagged.

The traffic on the site is really high right now and we have been getting attacked on the back end for several days now. I am doing what I can to fix it but when I block one file they target another. 100’s of thousands (currently at 550,000) of bad login attempts are happening right now, before that was a PHP script that I had previously blocked. This seems to be putting the spam protection on high alert…

Oh, thats crazy. Why are they doing this? Just because they can… It’s so sad…

Well most website are under some sort of attack, just usually not that bad. We don’t have PM’s anymore because they kept getting through and messaging everyone somehow. Dozens of spam posts get filtered out daily. Sucks but as long as I have ever had websites there has always been issues. Starting to think of some alternate options now that the site is big enough to get hard for me to manage myself.

I think the access to these forums here (as user who can post) does not need to be possible at super low barriers.

So one could use some techniques which require a ‘trusted’ id. Could e.g. login via git-hub account or using 2 factor authentication (e.g. google authenticator - you need to have a mobile, so it’s not easy for spammers to anonymously attack with ever new identities).
Crypto-sign your post otherwize its deleted.

Could also be combined with trust based techniques.

I think there should be solutions out there which puts the work load ‘on technique’ and not on you as administrator. I cross my fingers for you to find a feasible solution

UPDATE:

Please find the tutorial (as decided together with Ryan) now on githup pages

Please check, report any errors & clone contribute!

I also have success with the grbl-m-5x together with bCNC:

Got my machine setup correctly, and I’m quite impressed by bCNC (I guess this is how I will use my machine in the future).
I’ll write a tutorial (settings file already in the repo) for bCNC (install -> configured) next.

1 Like

Looking good. I would suggest posting back here when you make big updates. I am sure plenty of people are subbed to this. And thanks.

Yes, thats the plan.

And here is the announcement of the brand-new bCNC tutorial main site, 4.th tutorial.

For what it’s worth, the images don’t load for me (at least) on the Zoom and bCNC pages.

1 Like

Fixed, thx for the report. Should work now - still some missing?

If it was a permissions issue, it’s helpful to look at the page in a private windows, since you won’t be logged in.

It was a silly typo. missing ‘.’ in the path. The local jekyll server works using the absolute path /my/path/to/images, while it actually is a local path ./my/path/…

Sorry to hijack this thread but that github page is pretty awesome, would this be a better way to make the instructions for me? People can make changes and add information with a pull request right?

readthedocs is another good place for instructions. I used it for v1pi and it gets built from github, so it’s logically similar, but you can write in markdown and it gets compiled into a nice doc.

1 Like

For example:

https://v1pi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

It works ok on mobile, but the desktop is better.

Oh shoot, I thought you coded all that by hand. Cool. I like the idea of both of those and I am trying to figure out how to get more time to get back to R&D, my list of things to do is getting too long and my CNC’s a too clean…

Thanks to both of you!

I was weighing up between read the docs and git hub pages and finally decided for git hub because I thought (and already use it) it would be good to be able to add some files (like the machine settings) in the usual repo style.

In fact its ‘just’ a git hub repo with an additional site rendering some of the files written in markdown.

Update

tutorial 5: milling the part