Fusion 360 and engraving

For a couple of years now I’ve been using Octopi as the host for the MPCNC. There are some additional tools that you can download, in particular one that will send specified strings with a button push. So, one button says “Set XYZ Home” and another says “Set Z”. I use the “home” button on the Z axis to probe for a .75" reference and set the Z home incrementally off that for most every operation, including engraving. It’s not Mach, but works really well and also allows file transfers directly from Fusion360 postprocessor. Cheap and very powerful, plus will do videos of all operations, plus a live video feed to keep track.

Something to consider.

2 Likes

I use OctoPrint on my 3d printer and love it. I have a Pi 4 that I may try on the LR2. but I do like the touch screen from the TFT. I want to try teaching techs firmware with eh custom buttons he created for the tft

Sounds good. Do you know the name of the extension in octoprint you added to get that functionality?

Thanks

I use the Custom Control Editor plug-in (https://github.com/Salandora/octoprint-customControl). I define some buttons to generate Gcode sequences for setup help. Screenshot below. In addition, I have made a puck to a standard .75 inches and attach a clip to the bit then hit the “home” key for the Z axis to set an accurate 3/4 inch height. From that I can adjust for standard heights, or just use the paper method for non-standard material.

Make sure that after you set zero that you move in X and Y dimensions to engage the steppers, which are now calibrated. I do the Z homing and then raise the bit 10mm to engage the Z stepper. This allows manual Z height adjustment using the lead screw on the head, since the Zstepper are not yet engaged. As standard practice I move the Z 10mm up before turning on the router and starting the job.

Interestingly, this also allows bit changes, even using the puck to probe, IF you don’t disable the motors during the bit change. Doing it this way I have found I don’t need to go through the hassle of installing limit switches. For custom jobs, not manufacturing runs, this is all I need.

2 Likes