FW on plain arduino

Is it possible to load and run any of the firmwares on a plain arduino, like a mega… no motor drivers or anything? I’m working on getting my gcode sender to work with the lowrider and can’t connect to my mini Rambo out in the shed and I don’t want to buy another controller if I can avoid it.

Sure, the ramps setup is an Arduino mega 2560 with a big shield. The firmware works the same if the shield is absent. The shield is ‘dumb’ and just connects the arduino headers to the step/dir pins and big transistors for the heaters, etc.

2 Likes

Excellent… thanks… I’ll try to install it tomorrow.

If you want extra points, you can also load grbl on an uno.

2 Likes

Maslow cnc is grbl-ish so much of the work is done, but I definitely will be working on making it work with true grbl because I know people are working on getting it to work with Maslow.

… hook up LEDs to the pins that would go to the stepper drivers and verify the twinkly lights are getting data :slight_smile:

I’ve done this. I hooked up two to the dir pin and one to the step. I was playing around with accelerations and jerk settings.

Yeah, I am bummed that I blew out my development board mega. That was going to be my grbl test platform.

Might try it with my ESP32.

1 Like