Garrett's builds

Due to the quarantine I have been working from home and even though I have to be stuck in the basement it has had the benefit that I now have lots of time near my mpcnc where I can finally run it more. I recently posted my Catan Set but figured I would post some of my other build’s I have been working on.

My wife and I just had a son and we are doing a lord of the rings theme so my wonderful mother created a mobile for him but needed my help making the ring.

I also made some puzzle shaped picture frames. I am planning to make 12 of these but have only made 2 so far. I still need to cut and glue the wood together for the rest. And I need to figure out the best way to engrave the front of them. But I was really happy with how accurate my machine was. I wasn’t really sure how good it was until I made two of these and fit them together. Made me want to try inlays now.

15 Likes

The ring is super impressive! Did you steam bend it? I dont even see a seam.

Thank you! I had considered steam bending it but I found out that I didn’t actually need it because I was able to cut the strips thin enough for the diameter was was making it. It was just a lot of gluing and clamping layer by layer. Then I engraved the outermost layer. Here are some pics.

And there is still a seam. It just wasn’t in that picture. Intentionally.

6 Likes

You engraved it before you bent it right. Isn’t he a little young to be reading the Dark Tongue of Mordor? 🧙‍♂️

Very nice its wonderful he will cherish it forever

1 Like

It’s best to start ‘em young… Better than havin’ em prance about with Gladriel and those namby-pamby wood elves, or grubbin’ away in some dank hole with a bunch of sweaty dorfs with questionable morals… At least you know where you stand with the Dark Lord.

4 Likes

Why didn’t you make it so it only shows the engraving when it was just in a fire?

That is an amazing project and it looks great.

1 Like

Hmmmm, heat activated ink, in pen held in a mount on the MPCNC. This could be a thing.

1 Like

Hmmm… Sound-activated Eye of Sauron… That’ll teach the little knee-biter to cry in the middle of the night…

1 Like

You don’t get to babysit often do you :shushing_face:

1 Like

It’s called parenting… And I think I’ve done a reasonably proficient job thus far. They’ve both survived to High School; the necrosis of the femoral heads was not my fault, although I suppose the ASD is… But the 4.0+ GPAs are a testament to the evil genius from my side, and actual work ethic from my wife. I’m even hoping my daughter will follow her brother through the AP courses; he’s already gotten five 5’s on AP tests, and may theoretically have a number of ancillary classes taken care of before he even gets to college. I’m also hoping he’ll follow her lead, and get a girlfriend sometime soon-ish…

3 Likes

Congratulations they sound wonderful and successful :grinning: Sorry it was grandparent thing not a parenting thing I was referring to. You are not quit ready for that yet in a few years. Sorry

Or cut through/almost through, red acetate sheet on the back with some leds or a lamp?

3 Likes

I’m not holding my breath… If he’s as much like me as I think he is, it’ll be a while, and like I said, I hope he’ll follow his sister’s lead, and get a girlfriend… :wink:

1 Like

At least someone is happy it’s all we can hope for :innocent:

That would look really neat thin plexy wrapped around and lit from below with red led

1 Like

I had originally wanted to cut all the way through the outer layer to expose a colored inner layer but due to the intricacy of the text I could not cut all the way through. I still wanted wood on the outside. I guess I could have filled the engraving with a color changing epoxy or something.

1 Like

Its wonderful we’re just kibitzing :grinning: family projects are the best. They bring everyone together and let everyone do what they are good at too

1 Like

By the time he has his own you will figure out how to do it😀

1 Like

Did something a little different. I wanted to engrave the end of the knife handle I was working on so I had to cut a hole in my base to create a small passthrough. It worked out really well.

17 Likes

I love overcomplicating thigs by using my cnc router to make things that could have very easily been made with some more basic tools. I wanted to make a little bug house for my daughter and figured why not make this more precise with my MPCNC. Here are the two ends that I cut out.

And here is the completed bug house. I also used it for the Plexiglas door.

11 Likes