So after well over a year of poor project management, I’ve finally gotten past the “part collection” stage of my MPCNC build. \o/
I originally wanted to be able to swap out the “core” of the machine in order to route wood or plasma cut metal. In the end I decided to scrap that idea - too much hassle to get to the goal, and not enough payoff.
The revised machine design is going to be built for a roughly 24x24 work area. The frame of the machine will be separate from the working area in order to provide a bit more flexibility.
Attached is a photo of the frame design. It’s made from 2x4s that will be cut down to 3-1/4" x 1-7/16" and 2x6s cut down to 5-1/4" x 1-7/16". This will help ensure that the framework is as straight as possible. The legs will be simple 4x4s with no squaring ops done.
The cutting area will be a torsion box that’s 24 x 24 x 5-11/16. The odd height will allow for a 3/4" thick spoil-board. The tortion box will be built with an open interior structure in order to allow for airflow. Once built, I’ll cut a vacuum plenum and t-track slots into the top surface. The plenum will be multi-zone, although I haven’t decided if I’ll go with four large zones or a mixture of larger and smaller zones. The drawing for this hasn’t been done yet, but I know how it’ll look in my head.
I’ve got all the dimensional lumber and sheet goods for this thing, so hopefully I’ll be able to start cutting wood soon.