General questions on Feeds/Bits on the lowrider

That depends on you. I once set the limit to 16000mm/min. Whole table shudders when it changes direction. It does work, but I would not cut with that speed. :sweat_smile:

Fair point.
Well I’d like to set it to max 100mm/s (6000mm/m).
Not that I will use that speed but at least I know I won’t hit the limit with cad.
How or where do I set this limit in firmware? Someone post a screen shot of what line and where/which file I need to amend.

Which firmware are you using and on which board?

Using v1e dual firmware skr pro v1.2

OK, so that’s Marlin (as opposed to GRBL / FluidNC).

Some good news for you is you can edit the max feed rate with the terminal on your TFT touch screen, and you can save the changes. Here’s a page giving details:

You would issue M203 to set the max, and then issue M500 to save it to eeprom.

Example

Set max feedrate for XY to 100mm/s:

M203 X100 Y100

Viewing current setting and saving new setting

View the current setting with M503.

If EEPROM_SETTINGS is enabled, these are saved with M500,

1 Like

Awesome, can I save them on the firmware so if I do a update on my firmware these changes are defaulted to my set speed?

M500 saves settings to Eeprom. I cannot remember if Eepom’s saved settings survive a new firmware rewrite, but I think so. You may have to Google to verify that.

1 Like

If you know how to edit and compile Marlin firmware, then yes

Yeah I know how to compile etc. just need to know where in firmware these settings are

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE (…)

Configuration.h

1 Like

Marlin reads these settings from eeprom at every boot. If you flash new firmware, the default changes, but even the first boot, it will read the settings from eeprom.

You can change the defaults in firmware. But you need to make sure you take care of the eeprom. In some circumstances, the firmware will detect the eeprom is from an older version and do a reset, but not often.

M502 will reset all the settings to the defaults in firmware. M500 writes them to eeprom. If you want to make sure you are using what you have set in firmware, run these two gcodes after you flash.

1 Like

ok so my firmware has:
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 50, 50, 15 }
assuming its in mm/s.
so would changing it to:
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 100, 100, 15 } be ok?
using FSWizard, i get a lot of feedrates between 4000-6000mm/m to get chipload to match the endmill parameters. Should Z 15 also be increased would you recommend this or is 15 ok?

Also M201, M204, in relation to the lowrider what or when do these actually function during a cut.
my understanding
M201: Print / Travel Move Limits - Is this when its cutting or when its moving to its destination to cut (Rapid) My Current settings are: M201 X180.0000 Y180.0000 Z80.0000 Should this be changed?
and
M204: Set Starting Acceleration - not really sure when this would occur as this would be more for 3D printing so im assuming this is ignored. Current settings are: M204 P180.0000 R3000.0000 T180.0000 Should this be changed?

Go for it. If you have issues you can always back off.

Depends on the units your config is set to use…

M203 = Set the max feedrate for one or more axes (in current units-per-second). Firmware setting would presumably be the same.

Ok now that that’s set.
Can I rely on fswizard’s parameters and using them in the lowrider?
Or do I rely on the actual endmill brand parameters and inputting those details on the lowrider?
As long as both the above are capable of the lowrider’s parameters.
Eg. If fswizard or endmill brand parameters calls for a 24000rpm, 40mm/s feedrate.
Can I comfortably say that this will be ok for the lowrider and produce good results as I’m using the endmills parameters?

Also I notice on fswizard it gives a cutting force. What would you call the maximum limit cutting force for the lowrider? Seen on other posts that I shouldn’t exceed 0.4kg cutting force. Is that right? And what would be an ideal cutting force for the lowrider3?

I just downloaded fswizard to check it out. Very neat app! I do notice that you ca. adjust the rpm. If you bring the rpm down it should suggest a slower feed rate that will be more in the realm of what the LR can handle. All depends on what your machine can do. I would probably start with the slowest rpm your router/spindle will go and start there. You can always move up some as you find the feed rate can be higher.

1 Like

Can you tell me if I’m on the right track.

I need to pocket 25.4mm Mdf 15mm deep pocket.
I initially had 3mm passes using speeds/feeds of 20mms/16000rpm. These parameters are from the endmill bit recommendations.
Is that a bit high or should the speed/feeds/rpm be set lower/higher.
I’m using a 6mm, 32mm long 1F upcut for the pockets and 25.4mm profile cuts.

Does all of the above parameters sound about right?