"Go to zero" on touchscreen not working as anticipated

I guess it’s my day for questions. I am using an SKR 1.3 controller board, with dual endstop firmware and a Makerbase TFT28 touchscreen running MKS tft 3.0.3 firmware. Maybe I’m misunderstanding how the function is supposed to work, but if I jog the router to a given position (X,Y,Z) and select “Zero all” in the Job Setup menu, then jog it about randomly, when I select “Go to zero” in the Home menu, the router does not move at all in X or Y and just drops to the spoilboard in Z. I assumed that it would return to the zero point that I had set in Job Setup. I should say that, before I do any of the above, I home the machine using Home All command on the touchscreen. Can someone school me on what I’m doing wrong? Thanks!

I don’t know that LCD. Do you have any idea what gcode it is sending?

I don’t. I’ll have to connect Pronterface and play around, I think. But, in theory, should “Go to Zero” send the router to whatever position I have marked as 0,0,0 either with a touchscreen or G92, or am I misunderstanding that function?

I have no idea. There is no standard for the button names.

I would expect that to send G0 X0 Y0 Z0. It may be doing that but have the wrong relative/absolute set (G90/G91). It maye be doing some G28 business or G92 business, IDK.

1 Like

Hi William,
Did you ever get this issue figured out? I have the same LCD and have the same issue. I am using Teaching Tech’s firmware for the MKS TFT28 but mine won’t go to zero either.

Hi. I haven’t figured it out yet. I’m hoping I can use Pronterface’s terminal to see what Gcode the TFT is sending. But, I had some Christmas gifts to crank out, so I’ve just been working with it as is. Might get a chance to check this week.

ok, cool. I’ve started messing around with mine a bit, trying to set up some custom buttons and commands. If I find out anything relevant to this issue I’ll be sure to post it.

Happy Holidays!

Thanks, and the same to you!

Hey William,
I’ve managed to get “Go to Zero” working on mine. I had to do some re-arranging of code and icons . As i said, i was suing the Teaching Tech firmware for the MKS TFT28 and for some reason where “Go to Zero” was located in the menu tree did not work. He had it in the “Home” section. He also had stuff for Laser in the “More” menu where the Zeroing stuff is but I’ve removed the Laser icons and code and put the “go to Zero” in there and it seems to work ok.

I must admit , It’s taken me a while to wrap my head around the mks_config.txt file but I’ve got a good start on it.

so… The Go to Zero is in the More menue now, and I’ve replaced It’s old spot in the Home menu with a Steppers Off icon (M18) since I could not find one before. There are also two empty icons in the More menu where I took out the Lser icons/commands. I tryed to put M300 commands on these for testing (M300 will play a tone through the speaker/buzzer if enabled) BUT…the MKS TFT28 does not respond to M300 apparently. I found a post on the MKS Github about this but no solution is forthcoming.

I have put some much needed comments in thee mks_config.txt file. I will zip it up and drop it here if you want use it, change it, or add to it. Bear in mind it is not complete, but at least it has a couple more working features we need for CNC.
MKS-TFT28_32-K3D-V1.zip (839.3 KB)

Good investigative work! What you found certainly makes sense, as my Lowrider does seem to do something more like homing than returning to zero (though not exactly) when I press Go To Zero. Thank you for the config file. Unfortunately, I had a rough time trying to get TeachingTech’s files to compile, and ended up using a pre-compiled binary from a user here. Not sure I’d have any more success if I tried again!

well, this nice thing is, if you have your original firmware files you can just put them back on if the ones in the zip file don’t work :slight_smile: Good luck!

Oh, right! I’d forgotten that the TFT firmware is separate. I will give it a shot. Thanks!!

I had a similar problem and just made these firmware changes on mine, last night! (ignore the shoddy artwork!)