Good enough?

Hi,

Just got my table frame done, its 258cm x 143cm, and made from 39mm x 66mm laminated veneer lumber.

There will be 22mm chipboard on top, and still figuring out about wasteboard.

What you think about it so far ?

?

6 Likes

Looks very good. It would be even more solid with a layer under the laminated wood, making it a torsion box.

Looks to me like there are provisions there for cabinets under the table. Very nice feature!

Thank you, any idea how thick layer under should be ?
Maybe 12mm is enough ?

That’s the beauty of a torsion box, it doesn’t have to be a thick skin. I think 12mm would be plenty, and it will increase the rigidity of the overall table immensely. Google “torsion box”

I’m very interested in the laminated veneer lumber. I am curious if you found them in that width or cut them from larger beams? What was the cost?

I am working on a smaller LR table design for mine and the design uses 2x4s, but I kind of hate buying them.

Whole table costs about 120€, thats in Finland.
Laminated veneer lumber 39x66mm,
and 3m long was 6€/each.
There was many other lenghts between 2,7m-12m.

@jeffeb3
If you haven’t priced them lately you might want to go to a doctor and get some heart medicine and be prepared for major shock.

Lumber prices are insane right now.

Oh, really? That stinks.

6€/3m sounds reasonable, but my guess is I won’t find that here in Colorado. All our houses are made from the cheapest sticks they can find. I tried to buy something similar a while ago and it was a special order.

Not to hyjack this thread, but I am thinking of making a table like this:

But instead of the router table part, I would make a sort of a hole, with a vertical wall and a vise/clamp to clamp in the ends of boards, or just mill the front of large pieces. I still have a lot of detail to figure out, but I would be willing to spend a little more for a stable frame.

I might even make a sort of router table insert to go in that gap, but a laid back version. Just for stuff with bits that have bearings.

I haven’t decided if I will make the top portion a torsion box too. My current table is a torsion box made from 3/4 ply with very thin masonite on the top (3/32, IIRC) and the skin definitely makes it very rigid. The strength from the top comes from the fact that it resists tension. The top can’t bow if the bottom skin can’t stretch. But I am not sure it is really worth the volume. Especially for my less that super serious CNC habit.

This is all vaporware right now. I have been meaning to make a post about it. I need to call the lumber yard and ask about LVL. Then it will get serious.

3 Likes

These lvl studs are $20 ea. Yikes. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Boise-Cascade-2-in-x-4-in-x-8-ft-Versa-Stud-LVL-SP-2650-1-7-3-Piece-per-Box-2112003/206565340

Maybe one if the local builder suppliers can do better.

I’m not sure what a Versa Stud is
But regular 2x4s are a bit over $6 here

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-4-in-x-96-in-Prime-Whitewood-Stud-058449/312528776

The LVL is what I was asking about. It looks like they cut 1/4" strips of pine wood and glue them together so they are more stable and don’t have any twist or warp.

Regular 2x4s are fine, and I even have a few (about 10) from when they were about $2 (look at me, the sharp investor). But I am going to investigate a little more to see if I can find something in between. It is just a personal preference.

2 Likes

Its more like 1/8" strip actually.
And yea, they are stabler than regular wood, without any twist.
So easy to build something from them.

3 Likes