GRBL ESP32 WiFi controller board by Makerbase

Thanks. That gives me a very good starting point. I like the use of the probe for the servo. That puts all 3 connections in the same area on the board. Too bad the DLC32 does not have a servo connection which would have 5v on the center pin rather than ground. I will have to swap those pins on my extension servo wire if I can get the pins out of the connector. I am still waiting on a couple of closed loop timing belts before going further with my plotter. They should be here next week.

1 Like

Can you tell me what settings I need to change to use DRV8825 drivers for the X & Y axis? 160.0 should be my steps_per_mm since I am using GT2 belt with 20T drive pulley. Under the motor0, I donā€™t know what I need to change. I will also have a motor1 for the Y axis.

I did find this link Problems getting it work Ā· Issue #184 Ā· bdring/FluidNC Ā· GitHub that will probably help me. I found it after seeing this message. FluidNC - Software / Firmware / GRBL - V1 Engineering Forum

Glad you found your way! The fluidnc seems quite like a young platform, but things are developing fast and I think most options will be covered by time.

What setup are you using for your plotter/laser? Iā€™m still in the thinking box if should go with an axi-draw variant, or an H-setup. What are the proā€™s and conā€™s for these two options would you say?

Mine is kind of different. It is a rolling plotter setup with one axis being essentially infinite. I was using klipper firmware before on a MKS 8 bit board. I redefined the G10 & G11 gcode to do a servo down & servo up for the Z-axis & was kind of a pain since I had to manually edit Gcode. This time around I was going to use a standard small stepper of some sort, but if the fluidnc works to use the servo with a z-axis, I might stay with the servo. Here is my design as it looked 2 years ago. I am in the process of redesigning it now. Rolling Plotter build - Random or Off Topic - V1 Engineering Forum

Iā€™m converting the eggbot to a plotter. Now the servo wonā€™t work. And all my googling leads me back to this post! Does that mean that I have completed the internet? Or that Iā€™m running in circles? Why isnā€™t the servo responding?! I guess I should try with another microcontroller, that could rule out hardware issues with the servo.
Edit: the Uno runs the servo flawlessly. On the MKS DLC32 the 5V and GND pins have voltage. The PWM pin shows 1.5v on the multimeter. I guess I shouldā€™ve seen how it looks on an oscilloscope, and compare to the arduino UNO signal. But I donā€™t have one. Perhaps I should get it? :smiley:

3 Likes

Do you have an extra servo to try? I found one I was using went bad after a while. It may have gotten too hot. I am doing away with servo on my plotter & am going to use a Nema 17. Seems like it will be less problems.

The servo seems fine on the UNO. So I think it has to be something with my settings on the DLC32 - that I canā€™t figure out. But yeah - Iā€™d also like stepper driven pen mount! Itā€™s just quite heavy. The servo is such an light weight option. The other in between solution is the elsewhere mentioned solenoid. But I still think the issue is with my config/the board. Please keep me in the loop if you are going serious with the stepper approach!

Id like to try out this board for a custom laser I am building. My build has Y1 and Y2 separate so it can auto square, does this board operate Y1 and Y2 together or can I make them independent with separate endstops?

I found the hair in the soup. Do you recognize it?

Two empty spaces lacking before z:, resulting in three evenings of annoyance.

Remember indentation folks!

2 Likes

That is a little annoying that is that picky about indentation, but easier on the programming side probably. Maybe that was my problem getting it to work. I could not get the x or y motor to move much when I was playing with it.

Have you ever thought of using a 28BYJ-48? You have to rewire them a little to work & I have never gotten around to trying them, but I know @dkj4linux has.

1 Like

The hierarchical structure of settings is awesome, and this is the (sometimes frustrating) downside! Using / you can navigate down the parameter tree and change or check settings on the fly with $
Extremely convenient for calibration.

You have given me an amazing idea! (I really donā€™t like small servosā€¦)