Grbl on RAMBo w/ Dual Endstops!

Hi @fettfanatic you only have to put grbl folder (only grbl) in docs/arduino/library. Then open arduino, open the grbl example, compile it and send it.

2 Likes

I grabbed a different version without the digipots control changes and it uploaded fine. I didn’t need that functionality anyway. Now I am just working through some settings issues. It won’t move towards home unless I hold he endstop switch down. I am guessing I need to invert a setting in the configs.

Just change the wiring on your switch, each switch can be either “normally open” or “normally closed”.

Just about to flash by board. All a bit daunting :thinking:
Am I sure I will be back with some questions.
I have flashed my rambo, and some nanos but never needed to edit any of the files.

So its on, and I can connect via grbl_Pannel
What are you guys using to talk to it?
I liked the tabled Idea, how did that work?
Will miss the directly connected lcd. I found it a lot easier to move that around the machine than move a laptop, or tablet.

Big thanks to all the guys that support open source. Both the MPCNC and GRBL and all the guys in between supporting and sharing. WE grow together and because of this.

3 Likes

Agreed. This is awesome.!

2 Likes

Has anybody been able to get the Laser working using GRBL? I’ve noticed that the Spindle PWM is assigned to Pin 45 but when using the M3 / M5 commands nothing seems to be giving.

Edit: I do have $32=1 for what it is worth but I can’t get it to trigger or turn on. If I put the laser on to pin 31 which is spindle enable / disable I can toggle M3 / M5 and get it to turn on and off but once I set it back to Pin 45 as it states in cpu_map.h I get nothing.

Edit Edit: Finally using a 3.5W Banggood laser if that helps.

Turn off $32 ($32=0) This turns on the advanced features like the use M4 instead of M3 and laser not turning on without movement of the axis.

Kees, have you been able to get it to work? Technically turning $32 on to 1 turns on the Laser Enable mode meaning that you have access to M3 and M4.

Have not tried it yet, so far the machine is working great just in M3 mode… ($31=0)

Ahh I noticed that you are using a RAMPS though I did try the steps you took and still didn’t receive any results. I am wondering if somebody can test out M3 / M5 on their RAMBO with GRBL on Pin 45 and let me know if they are getting any results? This would be with $32=0 and $32=1.

Laser mode is really useful when doing grayscale. The main difference is that when the machine slows down for a corner or the end of a line, it will reduce the laser power so it doesn’t burn the edges. If you use something like image2gcode (or was is imagetogcode?) it will greatly benefit from laser mode. It makes total sense that it would be off in laser mode if it is sitting still.

Hi, it´s asigned to pin 44, but it has been writen for Ramps, I don´t know if it would work in Rambo.

Thanks Pablo. After checking @johnboiles code it shows that he has moved it to pin 45 (PCL4) for the RAMBO. So its been taken in to account but unsure if it has been truly tested.

1 Like

Hi @johnboiles , I´ve taking a look at your code, in cpu_map.h you have changed spindle pwm pin to 45 (PCL4) but you have to change the timer to 5B:

#define SPINDLE_OCR_REGISTER OCR5C —> OCR5B
#define SPINDLE_COMB_BIT COM5C1 —> COM5B1

@mulze32 try to change this lines in your code before recompile grbl and test if it works.

2 Likes

Great catch @enducross!! I haven’t tested with a laser so this is all uncharted territory for my firmware modifications. @mulze32 I look forward to hearing if this works!

I’m a bit slow to reply here but I use a Pi running @jeffeb3’s pi image with CNCjs. I have a 5in touch screen LCD connected to the pi running the CNCjs tiny web pendant in Chromium. That way I have local control for movement and zeroing, but I can upload my gcode over the network from my laptop.

2 Likes

The image is called v1pi, and the pendant isn’t included, but it is not too hard to add.

1 Like

@enducross and @johnboiles. You guys are studs! The laser is hooked up and running. One mistake that I almost made was editing the code in the GRBL file that was in my downloads folder instead of navigating to the cpu_map.h that was located in the GRBL library in my Arduino folder. So the changes that Pablo found will need to be updated in the Git.

So Pin 45 with a PWM setting of 1-1024 for 0-5V and with the $32=1 works very well with the M4 dynamic mode. I used a quick lightburn pattern and went from there.

What throws me off is negative workspace, I have to remember to zero out my work coordinates after homing since my origin is in the bottom left hand corner. The first time I hit play it zoomed to the far end of the CNC and crashed…

1 Like

I’m so glad to hear it! Would you mind submitting a pull request against my repo so I can bring in your change?

Did you set the origin right in Lightburn?