Having trouble buying endstops

Hi everyone, I bought the rambo v 1.4 kit, and it came with the endstops and wiring. But I thought I needed 5 endstops with wiring, but it only came with 4. Is this enough, or do I need another one? If I need another endstop, where do I get it and It’s wiring?

Thanks

Rafa

I bought stop switches from Amazon. They’re a fairly popular spacing, quite common. I have 2 different varieties.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DS9J3GD

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08736NP44

I suppose that I should mention, also available individually from the V1 Shop also This version with bigger spade terminals

For wiring, I’d just get wire with a DuPont connector on it and crimp on spade terminals.

1 Like

clears throat
Well, technically, you need zero endstops. Ask @jeffeb3. For auto-squaring, you’d really only need two, so that the two Y axis steppers could independently find their home. For auto-homing, you need three, as you need another for the X axis to find its home. Z doesn’t really need switches. You might use a probe to set a local workspace zero height. And if you’re using a stock-ish version of Marlin, the endstops are ignored unless it’s actively homing/squaring. You have to go in to the firmware and enable the hard endstops. The theory being that the steppers will skip steps before they tear the machine apart (I think).

If you are using the serial wiring, then you don’t need any, and at max, want two.

If you are using DualLR (this is the low rider section, so if this is an MPCNC, sorry), Y takes two, Z takes two (and homes up) and X uses one. You can also use a touch plate for Z probing down.

I’ve said for a while that you don’t need any endstops, except for auto squaring and squaring a low rider to within a fraction of a degree is easy with a clamp and no endstops. But people want their endstops. The community developed the DualLR config and I just translated it to MarlinBuilder releases. It is still a “community” or “beta” feature.

Thank you, I just didn’t know what the connectors were called.

Thank you everyone for the help