Heath's MPCNC Burly Build - Akron OH

Besides finally getting to work on this I also am finally getting to posting.

I printed parts out many months ago and they sat in a tote until about a week ago while I was working on too many other projects at the same time, but I’m finally doing it! I actually had most of the stuff I needed including motors, boards, and even some cases and such and just never made it enough of a priority.

It was so much so not a priority that Primo became a thing while I didn’t get to the build… Oh well, parts are already here and ready and why waste the filament? Will learn with Burly, it seems to have been good to many here.

I built a table with the intention of it being on casters just above the ground and then there will be a worksurface above it that may end up being the outfeed for the table saw or something, not sure yet. There is only so much room in the garage so I think I should probably try to save the space/have multiple uses for the space. Not sure if the idea will stay that way forever… Having a hard time deciding what will be the best way to go about this.

Here is the current state of things, progress at least here and there, haven’t eliminated all the other projects yet either so it’s probably slow. Just about ready to get to belts and electronics.

I know it’s been said a few times on the forums and likely elsewhere, but this design is really really awesome. Ryan, you are absolutely a gentleman and a scholar.

5 Likes

Love the MPCNC, I am working on getting my laser working on my LRv2, I" in Salem, OH. someday we’ll have to get together and compare.

Greetings from Medina neighbor! Looking good! :+1:

Saying hi from Wadsworth! I’m currently waiting on my control board, and I’m ready to try to get mine to move.

Well haven’t updated in a while but it is alive and moving!

I’m about to get my crown going I think but wanted to check in because I’m having an issue with homing but only in y. I can home in x and it runs just fine, goes in and stops, backs off, and goes home again. Then y goes and it starts ok but it hits the endstop and tries to keep going.

I have checked with M119 a hundred times and I’m pretty damn sure my wiring is up to snuff… Anybody else have anything to test? Not sure where to go from here.

1 Like

So crown things are happening!

So exciting, pretty crazy how fast the things just works all of a sudden.

Anyway, as you can see my first attempt drew over a lot of my spoilboard there… That should have been just over 6" wide and it ended up right at 13", so I halved my steps/mm on the LCD. Should I change it in the firmware and re-flash? Just wondering what the typical way to do that is.

1 Like

I should probably mention if it wasn’t clear I’m running a ramps board, attempting to get dual endstops working but will just go without for now.

You probably have your 2 y endstops swapped. You can check with M119.

Thanks for the reply @jeffeb3.

So I have my endstops wired correctly for sure, checked plenty of times at this point and M119 is coming back as it should. Discovered a new problem while testing, everything was drawing double sized with the pen plotter. Cut my x and y steps in half and things were in size so that’s an improvement, and on top of that apparently the double fast movement was the issue with homing because now I am homing properly.

New issue then is why am I double sized at 200 steps/mm in x and y… I have all 3 jumper points jumpered under all my drivers on my RAMPS board… I have looked through the firmware and I’m not sure what is going on… Again any ideas would be much appreciated.

The 200 steps/mm is for drv8825s. If you have a4498s, then 100 is right.

Well that is good to know! I guess that means I need to halve my z steps too, haven’t done any testing on that but I will do so before I re-flash. I think that solves the problems from here! Thank you!

1 Like

I guess I need to start a “Things I’ve Made” thread. Things are working well at the moment. Likely will get back into this thread though as I think I want to build a different table now.

Everything in foam at the moment, have done some test cuts in ply and had no problem so that will be no problem from here.

5 Likes