Heavy steel coffee table (work in progress)

Here is a coffee table I designed and cut out on my 4*8 lowrider plasma talk. Thought some1 might like…working on finding a slab top then I will complete the top frame and such. Anyway let me know what u think!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EaPE4gJUJFw8URzi8

8 Likes

What kind of coffee are you drinking? That thing is a beast.

Very impressive work. You definitely win for “most weight” of any project I’ve seen on a v1 machine. But also, great design and craftsmanship.

2 Likes

I think it would easily support one of these

5 Likes

It’s definitely not light, roughly 100lbs so far and prob in the 300 range once complete… Check out steel vintage in england… Going for the same kind of heavy industrial look… Catches a pretty price… Takes in excess of 10k usd. Will post pics when I’m done and thinking about a bed frame next, also will be very heavy. Everything unbolts for shipping and install however

1 Like

Looks like you have found your calling. That looks great!

1 Like

Did you see Alec Steel’s bed build? Beefy!

No I have not… Where might I find that?

1 Like

Added a few more pics of the near finished product… Any1 have any idea what a good starting price might b?

2 Likes

No idea. That is a work of art though. I would expect that I can’t afford it.

1 Like

Agreed. Thats the sort of thing you buy the table and then build a house to suit it.

Start with 3x the cost?
I’ve never been good at pricing things.
Looks awesome though!
I love the industrial look and maybe a mix of steam locomotive. I look at it and see this in my head.
images

Thanx for the compliments… I hope to find a market for this industrial style furniture. Some hours involved but I’ve yet to see anything around here like it…

The typical rule of thumb to start with I’ve learned is to double the cost of materials, overhead, and the like while also accounting for a reasonable amount for your hourly labor. This doesn’t apply when it comes to art and similar items; once you’re in that space, an item is worth what someone will pay for it, and I can assure you there are people ready, willing and able to pay. After all, who would ever even consider paying $20 million for a car you can’t drive? Yet at least a dozen people have.

My advice would be to check Etsy and similar sites for items roughly comparable to yours, such as this one I found. I’d suggest picking a price you think is higher than you think is reasonable and sticking to it. It’ll probably take a while to sell, but it’ll be worth it in the long run once you find the right customer. And once you do find that customer, hang on to their email and show them any new work you make, a buyer at that level can almost be guaranteed to have friends who have similar buying power, so one sale could turn to two or three or more quite quickly. Best of luck!

3 Likes

Thank you for this very thorough and detailed response. It is both flattering and informative… I have several similar designs ready to try.

Cheers

1 Like

I’d love to see what you come up with, I quite like what you came up with. I might have to steal your design for myself someday unless I can afford to buy it :grin:

1 Like

There, project completed…

1 Like

THIS!!! I knew exactly the table you were going for as soon as I started scrolling. Please please PLEASE share your design. I have been showing off the steel vintage table for the better part of 2 years as THE epitome of art.

1 Like

I’d almost be tempted to shop it around to corporate buyers. That would make a helluva C-level waiting area statement.

“Please wait here, Mr. Jones, the SVP of Brutal F-ing Ironmongery will be with you presently. Can I get you some coffee?”

Agreed. This table reminded me very much of a conference table I’m familiar with that sits in the office of a big steel fabrication company.

1 Like