Hello from India, need a bit of guidance

Hi all, I am building the lowrider2 CNC with a work area of 4’ x 4’ and have started printing the parts. I have a few doubts to clear.

1. Can we use the standard 6mm gt2 belts because I have looked for everywhere around locally as well as online but we do not get 10mm wide belts here. Also when I saw Ryan’s shop he said the belts come in 1m length but no where in the assembly have I seen anything about joining the belts. How are you guys joining the belts?
  2. I will be using a Ramps 1.4 and mega setup so when I looked through github for the firmware the only one is with dual end-stops. Where do I find the normal firmware without dual end-stops as I do not plan to use them.
1 Like

You could buy the 10mm belts from Ryan :smiley: i belive what the shop means is that the belts are sold by the meter… i.e. you can buy a 1m belt or a 2m belt but not a 1.5m belt. not that you will receive a bunch of 1m long belts. But as I have not bought his kit yet I can not be certain.

2 Likes

You can use 6mm belts.

3 Likes

I can confirm that you order from Ryan’s shop you specify the overall length you want in 1 m increments and get a single continuous piece of belt.

3 Likes

Shipping to India is probably expensive.

Yeah probably not worth the shipping if all he needs is the belt.

Click “choose version” and pick your firmware. Unless I’m missing something you want one of the mpcnc ramps versions closer to the top. I don’t think those are supported anymore, and the only active boards are in the “v1cnc” list, but the ramps have been used for quite a while and I don’t think much would need to change anyway.

Actually, the MarlinBuilder releases is more up to date. It does have RAMPS versions. But only dual. Even without endstops, or with serial wiring, that firmware should work fine. I should probably make a serial ramps version.

2 Likes

Exactly

So how do I disable endstops or just don’t change anything and flash it as it is? I will be using series wiring and no end stops.

Thank you

Even on builds with endstops, they don’t do anything until you home it. So if you never home it, it won’t matter.

I will have to double check but I think if you do not home you can only move in the positive direction . If that is not the case…then you are right we can get rid of some of the extra branches.

To clarify not meaning only in the positive workspace, but only right, in the case of the X axis.

The last time I used the dual firmware it would only run in the positive direction unless homed first.

But if you don’t have endstop micro switches plugged into the board then when you click home it should just lock the motors where they as Home. Right? Or does the dual endstop firmware do the move, click, bounce back, move slower, click again thing? Because in that case it would do this. Click home, the machine will think it is at home, it will bounce about 5 mm in positive x y directions the. Still think it is at home then stop with motors locked.

Good point. I will be home this evening and I might be able to run a quick check.

I thought it was the opposite in newer firmwares. I thought it would move positive or negative until you homed. Then it wouldn’t move beneath the endstops. I am not sure what happens if you home, then move positive 50 G92 to zero and then try to move into negative, but higher than the endstops (does it keep a separate reference for machine coordinates?)

Well…

The dual firmware that is the most current boots at zero and lets you move positive and negative just not past your soft zero. It also has an option for turning soft stops on or off. Cool.

So Heffe you are right, as always. We have some options.

We can ditch series firmware. If we leave everything as is for series but people would either need to turn off soft stops or make sure not to make gcode in the negative workspace (X & Y). I have a note in the milling basics page about this.

We can keep the series firmware. This is for the mini rambo, but also for the ramps and rambo if an extruder is going to be used.

We can ditch the series firmware but enable softstops off by default and dual users would need to turn it on. The SKR Pro probably does not need a series option, but it makes the store options more difficult.

Homing moves negative ~10mm, it will keep moving negative 10mm if you keep trying.

This probably isn’t the best place for this discussion, but yeah, I agree with that.

• Mini rambo doesn’t have dual endstop firmware.
  • Rambo, archim, Ramps, skr, don’t need serial firmware for the V1CNC configs.
  • Disable soft stops by default, or not? There’s no good answer there. How likely are the switches to actually break if they get hit full speed?

With no endstops attached, users shouldn’t be homing. If they do, I would have guessed it would be always triggered and would move a few mm in the positive direction to clear the stops.

1 Like